A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Game (Physics) Dynamics port

New Game (Physics) Dynamics port

So physics fans - its a day that has 'y' in it so in to that must mean a port of some physics engine has been converted to Actionsctipt!

This time it a port of the C Chipmunk library to Actionsctipt (this is in part based on Box2D).

I've not finished yet, lots more to do, several features and for example broadphase + loads of optimizations but it seems to work ok. The ultimate goal is to make this dead easy for anybody to use - there are only 12 classes that at the moment.

Take a look here: pEngine

A new stress test demo. Its basically the same as the previous demos, only demo 4 (click on control and press 4) is now 246 individual blocks.

Fire blocks with the mouse into the scene...

http://home.planet.nl/~borst595/pEngine246.swf

Source to follow - but its ugly ugly ugly. The things we do in the name of performance....

Developer
    Hi,

Man that's impressive!!! I had so much fun just shooting the pyramid and restarting and doing it all over again.
    now known as dVyper

this is impressively fast- nice job! i'm excited to see the code. is it an api true port?

Thanks - not sure what 'api true port' it though...

A quick summary of how it went:

First I did a straight C to AS3 port, just getting something working. Fortunately the original source was fairly well encapsulated so the conversion
    was not to bad. I got a version of the domino pyramid working (7 width x 7 high) at something like 10 fps, very high CPU load.

Next, I made a list of the very C specific things that just were not going to run well in Flash.

- First was all the Vector operations. To help with a bug free port I used my own Vector class to get all the vector math right. I inlined the math for the most critical sections which helped.

- Second, I used the Flex profiler to look at object creation/deletion - there was lots. With a graphics frame rate of 30fps and the physics running at 60 fps there were millions of objects being create and delete every minute- and many of these were being insert and removed from arrays. I replaces all critical arrays with linked lists, and created object pools for these objects so once create, and used they could be recycled. This dropped the object count down by a factor of 10 to 100. In fact once the simulation is up a running almost no objects are ever created now.

I then went back and inlined many more bits of code - specifically the impulse solver.

The main things left to do at the moment are:
    1) Fix some circle/polygon collision issues
    2) Make the API real easy for people to use
    3) Implement some kind of broad phase - at the moment its just brute force

The source code will be available - if you want it now pm me. I'll create a SVN repo soon. I need to tidy some things up. If you saw the main loop you might die - loads of inline linked list manipulation....

Any ideas for broad phase? I'm gona try the Chipmunk Spacial hash, and maybe quad tree. My first attempt at some simple buckets did not go well, had a negative impact on performance, even though my comparison count went down from something like 30,000 to 2,000.

Wow, that's scary. I'd love to see the source code sometime.

Programmer
    very nice and very fast

Beautiful.

Flash developer
    Just, wow. Great job

Might have to learn AS3 now after all.....

Ooooh, I can imagine a game with the player bieng demolisher for hire right now!

Kudos!

Rather than wait until I'm 100% happy with the code (which is never) I've decided to release the code now, and carry on working on it over the next few months.

The project home & SVN can be found here:
    http://code.google.com/p/glaze/

The latest demos can always be found here:
    http://home.planet.nl/~borst595/glaze.html

There are a few new demos + you can now attract shapes with shift + left mouse. My favorite at the moment is demo 5 + attract.

Some notes about the source:

- Almost every design/coding decision was taken on its performance merit. I don't really care if some thing is hard to read, the purpose of this engine is to enable physics in games for as little CPU overhead as possible

- The core physics solver is based on Chipmunk, which in turn is somewhat based on Box2D

- There is still lots to do!
    Last edited by rje; 02-06-2008 at 10:47 AM.

i've never looked at the Chipmunk source, but I wanted to say that this looks REALLY good! Very easy to get into, I think. I had a quick look through the source and it's really logically laid out and easy to follow. The performance is seriously awesome... I wonder how much of an increase you get by inlining so much.

will it support constraints/joints in the future?

Hey - thanks, took quite some effort. Converting Non-OOP C to OOP AS3 can be a bit of a headache sometime. I had to do some major refactoring from the C version, it relied heavily on constructing new arrays all the time - something that just wont fly in AS3.

I tried to lay out the classes as simply as possible - in the end there were only 11, of which 4 are very very small.

There is still lots to come. The broadphase in this version is my variant (if thats possible) of sort&sweep. Its very good in situations with lots of tightly packed shapes but I think I need quad-tree as well. I'll put the joints in this weekend.

As for the inlining - I spent some serious time with the flex profiler. Inlining all the vector math must have doubled the performance I think, as well as inlining the main step function in the Space class. The other speed bump came from pooling/reusing objects - once up an running, very very objects are create/destroyed.

Programmer
    i cant see the Demos

EDIT fixed it....i can see em now ^^
    Last edited by hunty93; 02-12-2008 at 02:41 PM.

I should add - best viewed with latest flash player AND Firefox Beta 3....

That is amazing! Anything to do with Physics is amazing :P

man... i only have Flash 8. is there any AS2 physics engines out there?

great engine, btw.

thanks

is there any AS2 physics engines out there?
    Before APE, Alex Cove wrote an AS2 engine called Flade. Also particle physics I think. Just google it..

I just saw APE got back ported to AS2

http://agave.tequila.com/node/15

Awesome rje, your physics demos never fail to impress me
    I downloaded the source but haven't looked at it yet, but I'm sure it'll be interesting to look through. Great job!