A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Leaflet Covers - Advice

Leaflet Covers - Advice

Hey guys, got some leaflet covers that i have to put in next week for an assessment, just looking for some advice on what to do with them.
    Appreciated

there's 9 files there. Are you looking specifically for critiques on the Science Festival & Scotland?

Either way...
    Scotland - nice job at masking out the objects. The guy up front (#17) is pixilated and soft compared to the 2 players behind him. The "T in the Park" stands out too much, doesn't seem to be blended in in any way.

'visit scotland' should be more of a focus. It's too small and it's really the only actionable message you're putting through in this promotion. Also, i think the bagpiper is too small compared to teh rest of the image. Bagpipers are synonymous with Scotland and should be way more visible than the mammal in the center of the image. The same thing goes for the scenic view up top...you've completely covered up one of hte biggest selling features of Scotland.

The rugby/soccer guys should be taking up way less space. Tourism is all about scenery and experience, and you've got everything backwards in this.

Aberdeen Science Festival
    - Nice space imagery. It's laid out pretty nicely. My only issue is the standard Arial font you've used. If you have limited fonts, i'd go with Arial Black for the header and then use a serif font for either the date or the place.

I hope this helps and please don't take my comments as being down on your work, you've got the right start, you just need to focus less on the graphic imagery and more on what the purpose of the piece is...that is what makes a good graphic designer a great graphic designer.

hey mate thanks for the input.
    iv just signed up to this forum a few days ago, and your posts/work have stood out to me, recognised your name as soon as i seen it.
    taken your comments in the right manner, hence why i posted my work up.

What would be the best way to try and sharpen up the no.17?

Nah I have plenty of fonts, agree with that choice though, deff needs changing.
    Agree with the T in the Park sign, its scotlands biggest event hence why I made it stand out, but i will tone it down some, how would i go about blending it in more?

For the 'Visit Scotland' text, is it placed ok in the top left? Just need to make it bigger? what about the font, curved text etc?

Should I take the scenic view to take up the top half of the leaflet? so that more is exposed? Anything better than arial black you would go with?

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it guys like you that make guys like me better

for sharpening #17, you might want to scale it smaller (my first impression was that you made it bigger rather than being a poor quality image)

But you might want to try this link to help some more:
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...photoshop.html

I like the visit scotland font at the top. Definitely make it bigger and possibly tilt it just a tad. It will depend on what image you use up top after you switch things around.

Blending the T - you've used a pretty bright color pallette for that, so it stands out more than it should. Possibly play with your levels & adjust contrast and probably saturation. There's more you can do with it as far as slightly dodging/burning, but i don't know your skill level with the less used tools in PS.

I'm sending you a PM wiht a sample mockup that i did REALLY quickly.

just got your pm there, will experiment with that layout there and see how things come out.

il give that sharpening a go, dont think i made him much bigger than the original.

not really had to use dodge/burns, will need to learn tho, what kind of tutorial would cover the kind of thing i need just now? only time i have used those tools was in a tutorial for applying cuts/bruises to skin.

thanks again for the help dude