A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CD Cover Art (need advice)

I'm still learning...

CD Cover Art (need advice)

hi, i'm doing a CD Cover Art for my friend, and here's the result.

some guy told me it's like cut-and-paste thing... i really need some help here... is it too plain? messy? junk? should i change the whole design?

so, when my friend told me it's not nice, i've change a little stuffs... it's not finished cuz it's kinda late now (3am here).

here's the whole CD Art thing. it will be fold in half then put into CD case.

the inside:
    Last edited by Nogol; 01-13-2008 at 03:17 PM.

FK Rocks..!
    This is a nice attempt of designing, Perhaps they look little too kiddy, i think the white background is ruining the looks, try adding some background colors

I recommend you visit http://browse.deviantart.com/designs...dts=1200211200 and get some ideas/inspirations about the latest trends of CD/DVD covers.

Cheers
    Waqas A.M. Siddiqui (Vicky)
    Graphics Designer

I'm still learning...
    thanks for the link. ya, my friend says it's kinda kiddy. i'll see what i can do about it.

It really depends on the music. Sometimes kiddy (or a naive look to make it sound more arty) is cool.

I'm still learning...
    i've changed the whole design... and here it is... i think it's better...

cover:

inside:

CD label:

please tell me what you all think.

Quote Originally Posted by jumblemind
    It really depends on the music. Sometimes kiddy (or a naive look to make it sound more arty) is cool.
    well, i was trying to make it artistic. his music is mixed genre... but i think mostly pop... i'm doing his website too... which is still under construction. there will be some demo of his music on his website.
    Last edited by Nogol; 01-14-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Well, this one is much safer. I'm sure he'll love it, as it's basically just him in pictures. Great job on NOT using any kind of drop shadow for the type on the cover. The type over the low-alpha keyboard closeup is good, too.

Personally, I think the last version (cover, anyway) was much more interesting. But, whatever. You got to do what the "client" likes.

I'm still learning...
    ya, my friend likes the second one now. i think they're gonna print it.

argh... design... i have soooooo much to learn...

thanks for your comments jumblemind.

I'm still learning...
    here's the poster:

I know it is after the fact but I'm not digging the typography on the back of the cover. I think it is to big.

Also If the music style fit I really loved the first draft. There was definitely nothing wrong with it. I do like the poster. It fits the final cd art well.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

i agree with you pea. i honestly saw nothing wrong with the first version (other than probably making the leaves match the art more).

I think the issue with the newer version are the photos. The dude is pretty skinny and wearing a v-neck shirt which is quite unattractive....think Michael Jackson in the mid 90's.

Personally i think the focus should be taken away from the artist and give more emphasis on style that fits the music.

The inside of the CD jacket is very distracting as well. Text overlayed on photos like that are hard to read. It doesn't add anything to the design IMO.

I'm still learning...
    hm... thanks for all your comments. i'll do better next time...

here's the product... it's not beautiful, but i guess it's presentable. it's the first time my designs got printed.

we didn't communicate much for this project. there's no theme. so, i just take whatever photos he gave me and design some stuffs.

here's another design, it's for his promo-tour.

i think i might wanna go to college to learn graphic design... but i'm very very bad at drawing.

u guys have any tips for me to improve?

Too bad. The first draft looked interesting, something new. The final product I wouldn't even really look at: it looks exactly like all the other aspiring artists cd's. On to the next cd in the shelves.