A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Serverside caching with PHP

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar

Serverside caching with PHP

Anyone have any good resources on the best practices for doing this?

Say I have dynamic content. For example a blog. But I want to cache some of the less dynamic pages in a static html file in a cache folder, and have this on a time period. Say cache, file a for 24 hours.

I can devise some methods, but I want to know how some bigger online applications are handling it to learn it the proper way.

I think there is a nice example in the mod_rewrite docs

Musicman

I was reading about it in my Advanced PHP Programming book using mod_rewrite, but is that the suggested way? I know applications like Wordpress don't do it that way. And I don't think that method would be too easy to stick into an MVC style, unless I am mistaken a bit?

Hi,

my understanding was that mod_rewrite would require less changes on an existing script that always regenerates pages ... and of course it would allow for big applications to split off a separate caching server

Musicman

Thanks for the input.

I've been messing around with using mod_rewrite, and also integrating a Cache class into my application.

Would it benefit the server to do the straight mod_rewrite for a file? Or in the Cache class, serving up the static html document?

Also if I'm using mod_rewrite for caching, is there a way that I can have the Cached documents expire after aging? Sans running a cron-job.

On a side note, are there any ways that I can perform a test for how CPU intensive a script is? I want to work on optimizing my sites for large scale and I'd like to gauge how well it's doing on a small scale first and determine if it'll expand well.