A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: anyone here from tampa, florida?

anyone here from tampa, florida?

if so, tell me about it. i might have to work there for a certain amount of time. hamburg, germany ---> tampa, florida
    Last edited by deepcode1; 02-06-2008 at 04:52 AM.

I dont live there, but i know it's warm and probably full of either tourists or old people.

Spent some time there this year. Wasn't in downtown Tampa, so I can't speak for that. Lots of sprawly developments, screened-in pools, strip malls, have to drive everywhere.

You're about 30 minutes from Clearwater beach, which when not full of drunken college students on break is actually a very nice beach. Hit up Freaky Tiki, get a grouper sandwich at Frenchy's on the beach. In fact, just eat a lot of grouper, we don't get it up north, it's good. Definitely head out to Caladesi State Park, reachable by boat from Dunedin. Really beautiful natural beach there, just go and chill.

Go running / biking / rollerblading on the Pinellas Country trail, you can go pretty far on it if you're in good shape. Tampa downs is there if you're into horse racing. Again, old people and white trash, but it is what it is. Busch gardens can be a fun day out if you're into rollercoasters.

Other than that, you'll need to watch out for old people, drunk drivers (be especially careful at night, I know someone who was killed by one. they're really bad down there.), and lots of white trash mingling with the few semblances of normal people you'll find.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

thanks...sounds..äh...cool

pssst...

the dollhouse - 'nuff said.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I once went there with the, at the time, future wife. 13 hour drive got there, she saw the beach and cussed out. Said she wasn't spending her spring break somewhere where there was no beach. Next day we drove to Orlando and then Daytona. fun in the end. Although I was looking forward to trying to meet another member here. I won't say who for privacy reasons.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

FK's Fnortner
    I've lived here in Tampa for 15 years (moved from small-time Reno Nevada...what a shock that was) What do you like doing? Are you bringing 'someone' with you? Downtown Tampa is dead at night and should be avoided unless there is an event of some type. Ybor City (pronounced E-bore) and Channelside can be fun if you're into music and clubs. Ybor and Channelside are located on the edge of downtown Tampa, with trollies to take you back and forth between the two.

If you're into theme parks, As PAlexC mentioned, there's Busch Gardens. Orlando (only one hour east of Tampa) has several. And if you can get away for an entire weekend, Key West is a must.

I believe Vamps (is he still around?) lives about 30 minutes north of Tampa, and estudioworks lives closeby as well.

Overall, Tampa is a great place if you know where and when NOT to be.

i will work from 9 to 5 for another webdesign company, and i bring my wife and my son with me...so, nightlife & dollhouse might be a no-go.

as long as tampa is an safe place, where i don't get shot the first day, it's fine

FK's Fnortner
    What's the name of the company, so I can find it on a map.

Wouldn't happen to be Allen Interactions, would it?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

thanks for the links...i will be there just for a month tho, but at least i know now a bit better where i will spend my days (and nights)