A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: To Open Source or Not to Open

Will moderate for beer

To Open Source or Not to Open

That is the question. Whether 'tis better to have a nobler spirit, or outrageous fortune.

Enough slaughtering the bard.

I have just reached a point in my current pet project where things are working rather well, and I am excited about showing it off to the world soon. I've implemented decently fast object detection (faces, cars, what-have-you) in AS3, and I would not be surprised to find that this ability would be highly desired by flash developers everywhere.

The thing is, I know the code can be better/faster, and I'd love to let some of the optimization gurus tune things up. I'd also love to turn a profit.

I was thinking of some sort of license which would be free for non-commercial use, but pay for commercial use. Does anyone know a license that allows both goals, AND actually opens the source to be improved by others?

Also, if you'd like to comment on the usefulness of the project, feel free. I plan on doing a bit more tuning, then posting a big ol' demo perhaps in a week.

I'm in that position too, and would love to know if there is a license out there like that?

Looking forward to what you got though!

Will moderate for beer
    None of the licenses approved by the Open Source Initiative have the dichotomy between commercial and non-commercial. However, Creative Commons does have a license-choosing tool which allows this sort of thing. You may find it useful:
    http://creativecommons.org/license/

After the underwhelming response I got here, I decided that turning a profit on it was far-fetched anyway, so I released under the MIT license. My project is now up on google code, if anyone cares.

http://code.google.com/p/deface