A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help! I have a lack of confidence as a web designer!

Help! I have a lack of confidence as a web designer!

Hi,
    I really need some support! I've been graduated from Faculty of Applied Arts, graphic designing & advertising dept. in 1999

I worked at the same year in Web Designing and I've got good experience and nice touch in designing and working with flash then when action scripting started to be complicated I felt so much frustrated & didn't have time to learn it, then gradually I lost my confidence as a web designer and I left the career 2 years ago when I got married because it made me so stressed...
    Now I feel I miss working as a web designer and at the same time I'm so much afraid! I started to learn flash cs3 and action script 3.0 but I have to learn action script 2.0 also...

the problem that most of time I have the feeling that I'm not creative and I can't work in this field & I'm not a real designer! however I can't think of working in something else! I'm not talkative and shy person, & I find myself only with computers!

This lack of confidence hold me back from developing!

I know that web designer has to be always alert & confident & always searching for new ideas & applying new tutorials, learning new programs!
    but I'm not that self motivated at all!
    I'm easily to get depressed! I'm v peacful and can't think of challenge!

my portfolio: http://emanelkholy.tripod.com
    but I need to make a new one with links to work samples.

so pls help me!
    is there any hope?

Student
    knowing where to spot the right information might be very essential for you. Every designer has inspirations and a libary to search for knowledge he/she needs to discover next.
    I myself for example visit almost each day a image blog to get fresh ideas each day and to somewhat stay up to date with happenings around the design scene. http://ffffound.com/ is my current favourite one.
    If you are rather uninspired right now have a look at some of the art/ design communities like deviantart.com. Or what sometimes works great as well pools like dafont.com for free fonts and inpiration.

If you think that programming Actionscript is to hard for you,- try to take smaler steps at first or find a way that suits you better. Many friends of me ar more visual designers as programmers and in the end they always find a solution to do it their way- like using timelines and animations instead of coded transitions with actionscript.

The portolio surely looks pre- 2000 year alike meaning that certain elements aren´t done in such a way today anymore. So I am not sure if I should comment on that one at all since it is not up to date anymore and perhaps not a fair representation of your design.

I myself am studying multimedia|VR-design perhaps somewhat similar to what you did- and one big lesson for me here always was to get inspired from/by other things in order to have fun learning new stuff.

anyway good luck

Renderhjs,
    Thank You soo much for you advice I'll start working with it, please if you don't mind, could you critisize my portfolio and tell me your opinion in details?
    I did it 4 years ago and will update it soon but I want to know if a client saw it as it is what impression he will take?!

Welcome to Flashkit or Fk as we refer to around here. We're nice and easy-going people, who tips waiters and waitresses, if you ever asked.

Not to worry, we all have our bouts of "Designer's Block' and when you do, take a break and surf around. Take a look at random pictures / illustrations. What I do is I 'images.google.com' my topic and look quickly look through the images available and gather inspiration, but hey that's just me.

As for actionscript, the basics will do. Think of it like a washing machine. AS2.0 is a washing machine that loads 4.5kg of dirty clothes, while AS3.0 is a washing machine that loads 7kg of dirty clothes AND has a built-in dryer as well. This analogy may not be accurate, but you'll get the picture. If you ask me, both does the job of cleaning clothes. Period.

Good luck in your newfound journey. Cheers~!