A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOOOOOOooooo! Watchmen movie...

NOOOOOOooooo! Watchmen movie...

They seriously need to leave every damn thing that Alan Moore does alone.

Anyway, here's the early pictures of the Watchmen movie characters... dunno about it yet.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

lol who is alan moore and these characters look pretty ok.
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

Get out.

I must say, I've never heard of either of em and I'm a fairly big geek.

He did V for Vendetta, Watchmen, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and a bunch of independent stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Moore

I actually like the V for Vendetta movie. Hopefully Watchmen will be good to, but I'm doubting it.

Night Owl is a bit Batman-ish, but overall, I don't think it's so bad. I'm glad they kept it in the 80's and decided not to modernize it.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    I've actually got pretty high hopes. Its directed by the guy who did 300 so at least it'll stay true to the source material instead of making up some lame story loosely based on the characters.

is this worth watching on the big screen??

If you've read the graphic novel. Yes.

If you haven't... no.

I personally thought it was decent, about a 7 out of 10... and that's going in with the most negative starting point I could have mustered.

i have this must watch on big screen list: Watchmen, Ironman2, Transformers2, Wolverines. Now having second thought about Watchmen.

i've never read any american comics but i do enjoy many of its movie adaptations though. But this 'watchmen' makes me worry about goofy costumes and silly plot, like batman returns, forever, ultra violet kinda type. If it's not that bad i'll go watch it.

nope. it's gritty, the superheroes - all but one has no real superpowers - are very human, very flawed. It would be what if Batman was real... and he was functionally deranged - he had issues, he knew he had issues, but still wanted to accomplish some good... but with his own sense of morals (the separation of Batman and Joker would have to be very thin to make that work in this situation)...

Flawed, gritty... more adult. The costumes though - this was written in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Flawed, gritty... more adult.
    More big blue dick...
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I decided not to read the novel ahead of time in hopes of having a reverse davinci code effect. I wish I'd seen the movie first.

I didn't read the comic, and I found it quite good. It wasn't the best film ever, but it was enjoyable. Somewhere between 7 and 8.

I'd probably say in that 7-8 range as well. Read the comic back in the late 80s and then opened it up again last year as a refresher.

To be honest, if I didn't have that background I'm not sure what I would have thought. I've heard mixed feelings ... most based on expectations going in. If they had no clue and went in expecting a typical super-hero flick, most were disappointed. Those that had an idea, at least found it enjoyable. Those that read the GN typically liked it. Then I had a few friends that liked parts, but were confused ... once I explained they admitted they wanted to see it a 2nd time on DVD or read the GN.

I thought some things followed the GN to almost a fault, but that's why it was deemed a near impossible feat to begin with. You make changes and you're going to tick off fanboys ... it's akin to their holy grail. Don't make enough and it's the type of story that simply doesn't lend itself well to film ... at least to a mass audience.

That being said, I thought they did a good job toeing the line for the most part. Agreed with most of the changes they made (or at least could see why they likely had to make them), and even thought there were some scenes that could have been further massaged.

my biggest problem with the watchmen movie is finding a girl willing to go see it.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

go on a man date then?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

thats the most rediculous suggestion ever.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Oh wait you need a gf first for a man date to seem alright. My bad
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

i find this movie is totally about american culture, using its obsession with super Heroism to reflect the messege. if you dont know American history you'd probably wouldnt understand it.