A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] iron man

[WIP] iron man

just posting up an early demo

would be great if you guys could post your frame rate, and if you experience jumpy rates. Possibly due to GC kicking in.

i've got wmode = "transparent" on this one. So if the keys don't work please let me know. Could be another contender to the wmode thread

click to shoot, click + hold to charge shot
    arrows to move
    control to perform special move

you can't die yet, and you have unlimited specials, but that'll change soon. Also, the difficulty is random, I'm gonna try and implement a wave system. Polarity folks, any tips?

http://soap.com.au/chris/ironMan
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Keys work (Opera Win), fps around 24 when shooting, 28 when not shooting.

21 shooting 30 not shooting. i reckon you're really paying for those foreground clouds. they are not worth it imho
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

You guys must be using some inferior browsers, 'cause there is no drop in frame rate here, no matter what I do.

steady 40-42fps ( I think fluctuacion is due just to script constantly calculating rame rate, not an actual drop in frame rate ),

IE7 core2duo 2ghz ( laptop ), so not an ultra mega super duper machine by any means.

Looks good too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkOk
    21 shooting 30 not shooting. i reckon you're really paying for those foreground clouds. they are not worth it imho
    possibly, they are cached as bitmaps though. IP didn't like them either, guess its time to ditch.

Just felt that the top part needed something, down the bottom has all the pretty parallax.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    41 fps idle, 33-37 fps when moving mouse 31-32fps when firing rapidly.

Oh and it's not that I don't like the clouds, in fact, I think they are a really nice touch. The problem I have with them is that they are much too distracting and is it just my imagination or are they pixelated? I took a few screenshots and noticed they seem very square...

Last Minute: I just realized I had a ton of programs running like Diablo II Lod and photoshop. After I shut them off all the fps' jumped up 2-3. It's very smooth and I love the snake enemies... I always wanted to make baddies like that... what method are you using for hit detection against the bullets?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

yeah, clouds are pixelated, the original image is very small, I just upscaled and make them transparent. If I do keep them, they'll probably be vector looking in the final version.

As to the hit detection, just a loop which checks points from position to new position against one main enemy container. Then I go into the container and find the specific enemy. No problem with AS3, especially when the bullets don't change velocity, I just find the length at creation and use that for the loop, so no more than 1 Math.sqrt call.

Mate, you just get the best IP to play with. Slag.

Around 30fps in FireFox ( Which read the keys fine ), I had a quick go in work on IE and a slower machine and it was around the 40 mark most of the time.

If you wanna pm me your msn or something I'm sure I can sort out some inside Polarity knowledge. You'll be glad to hear it was nice and simple.

Squize.

Student
    works fine here,- are those graphics to be intended for the final release? (I assume not) I like the effects like the shots and the feet particles.
    Perhaps not the right spot to add some comments on the graphics but anyway:
    - I would make some idle animation for the body and esspecially the feet - just slightly so he doesn´t look like a stiff block
    - rotate his head slightly to his aiming target (mouse cursor)
    - some bitmap graphics like either rendered stuff or photoshop sprites/ paintings. Perhaps some 2 states of them 1 normal the other with lighting shading wich will be triggered if he shoots

nice job anyway

all graphics are my own dodgy creations, there's a real designer working on them now. I do agree with you render, he needs some idle animation, and the head thing sounds cool too. As to the bitmaps, are you talking about the enemies there or the players limbs?

Would be nice to play around with light, but I've got some other stuff to do before that.

Squize, ye shall hear from me soon

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Wow, first of all congratulations on landing this IP, second I think you really nailed the speed and maneubravility as seen in the trailer, loved the camera shake and the Ik, very very nice. I think renderhj has already taken the few complaints I had, nice job!

I was getting between 30-32 during a lot of action. I got some jumpiness near the bottom of the map, but I believe my computer was loading something in the background.

Every so often, right after pressing the left arrow key, I wouldn't be able to use the CTRL special weapon. Not sure what was happening.

you cant use the special when you're damaged. Or it could be a wmode thing. I'll look into that, thanks

i think it looks really great- i got steadily above 35 regardless of what was going on. i love the frenetic feeling of it all

I get a steady 40-41 in Firefox. It's looking (and feeling) really great!
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

ok, updated, but still not finished

still got waves to do, and wating on some high score API.

Anyway, try and defeat the boss:

instant boss: http://soap.com.au/games/ironMan/boss
    simple waves (before boss): http://soap.com.au/games/ironMan

gotta run, please post your fps to, if thats ok

this is awesome. awesome stuff malee dude. presentation is tops movement is first class
    everyone should post their games like this; with cheats or direct links to the bosses.
    nice
    fps: between 16 and 31 depending on what's going on (boss fight). didn't "feel" like it was lagging though
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 03-28-2008 at 01:51 AM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

On this 1.4 GHz machine (using IE), I'm getting between 15-20 fps on just the normal enemies. Gfx are sweet, and the game seems well polished ( I love it how the enemies bounce off the ground when they're dead, and the blurry foreground objects whizzing pasts really makes it so much cooler ). Gameplay also seems pretty solid, and the boss was fun to play against.

You may want to also make use of the WASD keys as optional controls, as I find using the arrow keys as well as the mouse makes playing a little akward.

I got a pretty fatal bug: As soon as one of those diamond looking objects spawned onto the field, everything stopped. I couldn't move, the enemies stopped, but the diamond kept moving, I could still shoot (but not able to change the direction of shots), and the music kept playing as well.

Viza.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    i got a steady 40fps and got half way on the boss. I dont think the charged shot worked on the boss, maybe.... never worked for me .... Great game, they'll love it.

just tried the flight test, and it froze my arm legs and all the limbs but i can shoot (it only goes one angle even if i move mouse) what i did to get to this was just push down and keep pushing down while killing a couple enemies. Then only these gold orbs came by and one froze.....THEN A BLUE ORB....... lol. i kept the page just incase u ask for a screeny

damn u viza.... u beat me to it....
    Last edited by samvillian; 03-28-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Awesome looking game, boss level was quite fun. Everything is fine for me (38-40 fps), except I got the same freeze bug with the diamond.