A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Basics

Basics

I'm one of those Flash programmers. I came into it from the outside; from design. I learned to program using Flash. OOP in Flash is more fun!

Anyway, I look at Flex and most Adobe components and think, "Wow, if I had had this, I wouldn't have had to learn to make everything by myself".

I also think that there's no such thing as a generic solution to a problem, which is what Flex sells.

I thank my lucky stars that I know how to "make everything". By that, I mean interface objects.

I feel that you need to know (like the back of your hand) how to make a scroll pane, or a drop menu, or a heir menu. You should know how to do layout and event management. Understanding how to actually make the interface should be, I believe, a requirement for a Flash programmer. I think Flex offers a nice sandbox for some to play in, but I also believe that only custom interfaces can be the best solution for a project.

What is your take on this?

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    True, there is benefit to knowing these things, but one of the principles of OOP is reuse what you have. Why should I recreate something that already exists if I can just extend it?

A builder than knows how to chop down his own trees and make his own boards definitely has some skills, but is that necessary every time you build a house, or do you just head off to the lumber yard?
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    If you're working for a company, go ahead learn to do as much as you can, but if you're working for yourself time is money, more accurately your money.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups