A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bullet firing

Bullet firing

bullet firing mechanisms problem

Ok, I am going to do a bit of a side project until my lazy friend gets over here to work on the starship game. So, it's a simple stick figure side scrolling game. You have a character on the left, you have smaller people coming from the right. You ned to shoot them in order to make them go away. Yet they shoot back at you. so here's my questions:

1. How to get the bullet to fire from your character's gun when you press a button? i tried the tutorial but it didn't work for MX.

2, to get the enemies to fire at random, how would I go abot this.

Thanks in advance!
    Later,
    FF

Well about your character firing when you press a button, I'd use a Mouse.listener, here it is a hint, (it'd probably better if you'll have a look in your flash help as well).

// Create a mouse listener object
    var mouseListener:Object = new Object();

// When you click the mouse, call fire function
    mouseListener.onMouseDown = function() {
    fire()
    };
    Mouse.addListener(mouseListener);

Hope it helps
    Giano

Ok, I got it 'bout fixed up. I looked at the help (like you said) and wham, there it was. now another question. I want a bit of a tracer effect coming off the end of my bullet graphic. Not the animation. Is there a way that I can give a certains object a sort of "death rate" or something? so that the tracing material automatically goes away, yet looks natural.

hmm you're talking about a trail effect. Well you might have a look into the tutorials or movie section of the site. Mainly they're used on mouse movement, but with some modification you can easy customize it to your needs.
    Here it's a tutorial to start with:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ac...-846/index.php

hope it helps

Thanks Giano! I see that trail effect in FlashKit's version of pong. The ball has a trail. Ok, I'll check out the tutorial. Thanks again!