A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: T-shirt sales commission...How much

T-shirt sales commission...How much

I am going to be designing a logo, bunch of clothing, and a site for this shirt company. They want to offer me commission. How much should I ask for?

The fact that you don't know suggests you should charge about 150 bucks.

Sorry, commission will be based on a % percentage of each shirt sold. I am looking for a standard percentage. What are you talking about? I charge way more than 150 for any standard logo. This is an ongoing project.

Josh

150%

If they are suggesting that they pay you via commission in place of other payment, I think you should decline it. Company shares, commissions and other similar incentives are typically ways that a start-up finagles risk-free work from people. Why would you want to base whether or not you get paid upon the success of someone elses decisions?

If they are offering it on top of your otherwise full payment, that is another thing. In that case, it seems like the burden to name the figure should be on them.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I love getting paid in company stock. I always charge 20% more than I normally would, and I tell the client that as well. Then I sell off what I normally would get paid. Now I have stock in a company AND I was paid in full...

assuming you CAN dump the stock...

What if not publicly traded? Sell to whom? (seriously..I dont know)

Back to the company/owners? What if they dont want it?

I also agree.. money pays the bills..promises dont do much good unless your in a position that can afford you to NOT get paid for your work.

I imagine there are some circumstances where stock could be worth it. But, taking stock is speculating that the company will do well. If they are already doing well, then you can feel safe about it. But, if they are doing well, why couldn't they afford to pay normally in the first place?

Actually, tozier, what I would recommend is that you suggest a partnership arrangement. Since you would essentially be developing a large part of what the company is, you should be entitled to partnership rights rather than a share of sales only. People pay others to do things "for them." Commission, partnerships, stock are for doing things "with them."
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I like the partnership idea. I will be doing a lot of work and getting involved with the company which is only one guy.

if they are going to pay you commish for designs for shirts, why not just sell your own god damned shirts?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

He will be doing all the marketing, it is for ultimate fighting mma and he has all the connections and sponsorships with the fighters. Plus the money to pay for all the shirts, micro fibre, shorts, gloves...etc. So basically it sounds like we would be partners.

Wow. Thanks for the idea. You might as well forget it now, as I will be selling my own stuff at:
    www.mmamicrofibretshirtsshortsandgloves.com

You lose.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

your lame....How is that an idea, you can do that with anything...Its not like a brand new idea ever hear of tapout? good luck flamer

haha...relax tozier...you're just dangling a piece of meat in front of hanratty by getting lippy. You're in the coffee lounge, where humor and sarcasm go hand in hand. A tough skin is required.

haha alright

your gonna fail because the tapout fighters are going to break your arms.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.