A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash developer salary...

Flash developer salary...

Hey guys...

I have been working for Applied Computer Tech, INC for over 4 months now....when I started I did not know any flash or actionscript. In the 4 months that I have been there I have developed the following application from scratch with a lot of help from people on forums like this one...

www.expocadvr.com/new/default.html

I am going to optimize this app and tidy it up before its done...along with some extra features...but its nearly finished...I would like to know what I should be making as a salary....I know that I am entry level and that I have much to learn, but I want to make sure that I am atleast making the minimum that I should be for the work that I am doing...please help...I have checked salary.com and it produced a large number that I am no where near...and I don't want to go askin for more money just to get laughed at...

Thanks,
    Paul

i make roughly $350,000 a year making flash banners.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

damn dude...i make considerably less than that...that is free lance though correct? or do you work full time for some company?

i work for the bubba gump shimp company.
    http://www.bubbagump.com/
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

If you spend all day in one graphics app or another, you should make no less than 25k - 30k per year. The top notch bad-asses who also have a degree and were lucky enough to get hired by a serious firm make 120k +

I have a degree...however its in Network Security...=/ I dunno what I'm doing developing....

Oh didn't you know? The first thing a company is supposed to do with their new IT guy is ask him to build a web site. Then they put the receptionist out on a sales call, promote the new guy to manager, treat the creative team like they're embezzling and fire the only person who knows where the money is hidden.

that sounds just like the last company i worked for.

Impressive coding. You should work for us instead!

The amount you can get as salary depends on a lot of things. Region factors in quite a bit. But, also just what is realistic for the individual company. Just because one company can bill clients enough to pay a developer 120k doesn't mean that another company building their own in-house software can.

I went through a similar thing where I was hired for flash which I had learned for fun. But, I didn't realize the value of that skill until I had worked for the company for a year and was paid half of what I should have.

Judging by you not knowing flash at first hire, building that app and also assuming that the company can frequently utilize the flash skill-set, I'd say you're entitled to at least a 35% raise. That's just based on the increasing demand for flash. [Think of it this way, the company you work for could easily bill clients for 35% or more for "flash hours".]
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Thread moved to the boardroom.

Frets
    Super Moderator.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    OMG, you'd spend an entire year doing nothing but making banners?

You have my pity, I'd want ten times that amount, and I'd want it in pounds, not dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    Oh didn't you know? The first thing a company is supposed to do with their new IT guy is ask him to build a web site. Then they put the receptionist out on a sales call, promote the new guy to manager, treat the creative team like they're embezzling and fire the only person who knows where the money is hidden.
    There you go! Oh, that is funny.

Originally Posted by silverx2
    You have my pity, I'd want ten times that amount, and I'd want it in pounds, not dollars.
    psch, I'd do it for $55,000 a year, considering I'm now building applications/games/websites, etc for less than $35,000 a year. A YEAR!!!
    Despite it sounding like a joke, it ain't funny.
    1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino is a portal of Hell.

In my first job, I made $5000 a year. At least they let me learn flash, actionscript, javascript, php, and everything I now apply in my job. I quit, I've been 5 years working as a freelancer, and I make way more than that.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.