A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Myths and Monsters | Saint Bendetta, Fearless, and ondraedan

Myths and Monsters | Saint Bendetta, Fearless, and ondraedan

There are very few rules.

~~~~~~~~

Keep the canvas size at 700x400 min.
    Bigger sizes are certainly welcome.

Incorporate an aspect from the previous image.
    Since this is a three way, try to incorporate an aspect from each of the
    two previous images. If you can't make it work, don't try to force it.

Aim for a 96 hour return time limit.

~~~~~~~~

This battle (exhibition would probably be more accurate, as the goal here is to put together some pretty pictures and inspire others to do the same) will be loosely themed around mythical creatures and heroes. This includes either specific mythical identities and events or themes adapt from general mythical concepts.

I'll post something to kick it off by the end of the night. Seeing as how Fearless is still a part of MM and has an image on his to-do list, Saint will be next.

<3
    Excellent, looking forward to it!
    My first ever round with Ondraedan in it and haven't had a round with Fear for ages

Would be awesome to incorporate some details about the image - ie image which has mermaids in it... and a bit of history about mermaid myths in that reply (maybe just links to sources will do?).

I have the Wordsworth's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable which will finally come in handy.

Euryale

DESKTOP VERSION 1024x768

The gorgon sisters, Euryale, Stheno, and Medusa, had snakes for hair, claws, fangs, and in some myths even wings. These monsters had the power to turn people to stone with their gaze. The most popular sister, Medusa, was the only mortal of the three. The myth says that as a young girl, she was so beautiful that Poseidon seduced her in Athena's temple, inciting Athena's jealous wrath. Athena turned Medusa into a gorgon, but she remained mortal and was later decapitated by Perseus. Stheno's head was removed and
    displayed on a pole for the other gods to mock, but Euryale, whose name means 'far-wanderer' was never defeated, and after losing both of her sisters, she vanished.
    -wikipedia

These images will not coincide perfectly with descriptions given in the myths. They are interpretations. (E.G. Gorgon's are ugly; my version of Euryale is not. Sex sells, get over it.)

great start.

yay more darkness death and destruction. you 3 know how to do it.

<3
    Nice choice. I swear I saw a movie that involved the Gorgon Sisters and maybe Hercules a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ondraedan
    These images will not coincide perfectly with descriptions given in the myths. They are interpretations. (E.G. Gorgon's are ugly; my version of Euryale is not. Sex sells, get over it.)
    Fun too! As in, make images of. Yeah.

I like the clarity of the image. What program/s did you use?

The gorgonites!

But to be serious- I really like that first image and can't wait to see what comes from the other 2.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Oooh fun! I'm really gonna enjoy watching you 3! Nice serve!

Thread... subscribed.
    Popcorn... ready.
    Beers... all mine.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks for the kinds words all...
    Saint, i just used photoshop, same as always
    I'm very much looking forward to whatever is coming next!

<3
    Cool! I thought you used some sort of 3D program in some of the elements (ie snakes).
    Gin and tonic at the rrrready for Photoshop destrucccction.

Nah...As you can probably tell by most of my images of late, I've been interested in attaining photo-realistic scenes. Sometimes it falls flat, e.g. my MM r3 image apparently didn't quite get there. But other times, everything from perspective to individual elements contribute to a more realistic and sometimes 3d'ish look. I think in this one it's the water that helps out with that as well as the snakes.

bookmarked. should be good!
    subgenius.com

<3

My turn!

Had a couple of ideas in mind. One of them was basing it on the Tower of Bablyon, however, I went with this idea.

Hmm, was tossing up between posting this and having a sharper one. Seeing as I did an unsharp mask on my previous one overall, thought i'll just skip that for this one.

In Aztec mythology, Huitzilopochtli, also spelled Uitzilopochtli ("Hummingbird of the South", "He of the South", "Hummingbird on the Left (South)", or "Left-Handed Humming Bird" – huitzilin is the Nahuatl word for hummingbird), was a god of war, a sun god, and the patron of the city of Tenochtitlan.
    More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huitzilopochtli

I focused on the sun god aspect/quality of him rather than his other qualities...yes, he is the god responsible for all a lot of the bloody sacrifices:
    Huitzilopochtli is one of the most important gods of the Aztecs, who invoked great fear and was pleased with human sacrifices. Huitzilopochtli is the god of war, whose alter was placed on the Main Pyramid and the heads of the prisoners of war was offered there as sacrifices to the lord.

I couldn't find stock images of the god so I used the centre area of this Aztec calendar to depict him.
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 03-31-2008 at 01:50 PM.

This image seems different from your usual style. I'm liking the Aztec theme very much, but something about the floating masks is unnatural, I think maybe it's just the shadows. All in all, great concept, great photoshoppins!

<3
    Yeah...I can sense the difference
    I popped a No-Doz pill and did an all-nighter to work on the image before the 96 hr volley timeframe and finish an assignment in the following morning...I think this may have contributed to it?!

Although looking at some notes that I made about the image, it was going to be a bit gory with blood, random limbs and whatnot. I'll make it up next time.
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 03-31-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Kick ass first image and it is really sharp especially the water can a guy get some tips to achieve that please? Saint I like that image totally different from your norm I like but i like your darker side
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Benedetta
    Nice choice. I swear I saw a movie that involved the Gorgon Sisters and maybe Hercules a long time ago.
    Probably Clash of the Titans.

Anyway, This should be fun! All three of you involved are great artists.
    What the world needs now is a nice hot bath.

<3
    Hey guys, just letting you know that I'll be flat out busy from now until mid June with uni