A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: characters design & lowPoly

crossconscious
    The outline really makes it look a lot better. And it looked great to begin with! Kudos.

Ah yes! A great improvement! How did you
    make the outlines?

Yes, pantsu = kawaii. No, just kidding. I love the colors
    and the dress is very cute
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianis
    How did you
    make the outlines?
    even though I want to keep this thread design related:
    PHP Code:
    var fx:GlowFilter = new GlowFilter();
    fx.color 0x65543D;
    fx.alpha 1;
    fx.blurX 2;
    fx.blurY 2;
    fx.strength =255;
    fx.quality BitmapFilterQuality.LOW;
    sprite.filters = [fx]; 
    its a real dump trick but it works fast in Flash

looking cool render.
    i think the sleeves (i think) look a bit too much like weird tan lines
    if you add a shadow on the inner arms it will add some roundness to them
    i think the dress shadow should come down further over the boots
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    its more that I know how to cheat on the visual side
    what do you mean by cheat?I though one of the greatest advantages of doing your own 3d engine is that you kind of know how things will behave and know what will never happen, so your own stuff is faster...

The Hair looks now muuch better!

Student
    the planet
    Suvat is the planet the girl lives on,- the uniquness of the planet is that it together with a sun rotates around a common center wich means that the sun doesn´t move around the planet and thus there is no night/day cycle on the planet. The sun itself is very close to the planet heating it with its energy and causing magma bursts on the planet.

Because of this one half of the planet is Day and hot the whole time and the other half is night and colder and wet. The civilisation that is known lives on the dark side as the day side is hazerdous and dangerous- people haven´t come back once they tried to conquer to that side- so its said.

With this believe colors have become something of the past because everyday is night and torches or other non sun light sources can´t reflect the colors that once existed. But what would happen if somone someday sees again the colors on the day side?- would that person recognize colors as what they used to be, could that person even see that kind of colors?- for what is sure there is some secret about the colors on this planet: a secret to be discovered...

back to the concept:
    of course this planet and its situation were designed to transport the adventure about colors- wich are as I already wrote before a main topic we have to cover in this semester here at the uni. With the next concept postings I´ll explain more and more the actions around the planet and the girl itself- how it influences her and her journey wich the game will be about.

About the graphics:
    photoshop with some paintings and a mars photo- I used alot of "screen" and "softLight" blend modes on radial gradients to fake the oren nayer effects (in some 3d packages this term describes the shader wich is often used for the effect where light reflects on the surface of the planet through the atmosphere )..

Student
    started on the first outdoor map "rheta" in 3dsmax:

my expierence was that at the beginning I tended to create to spacy areas wich would mean that the character would have to walk alot in the game- long distances so I scaled everything a little bit down.
    Alot of the 3d elements are instances and are used as decoration. The big brown mechanical thing is a telescope to see what´s ahead. Once its finished this scene is going to be rendered and used as background images on multiple cameras for the game.

looks cool. it's going to be some work to get the depth working. there are a lot of bit's that the character can be behind AND in front of

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    My my... I thought your works on the modeling was awesome; but now I feel I can honestly say the same about your imagination. This first level feels very Miyazaki in my opinion.

Is this game going to be based on a whole bunch of world levels like Super Mario; or is this going to be one huge map?
    Keep up the good work.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Haha, Blink, I think you're forgetting who you're talking to! Render don't like 3dtools, he's a DIY guy It WILL work

*edit* And Render, I'm tired of telling you, that the work you are doing is amazing
    Last edited by phreax; 04-14-2008 at 03:14 AM.
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

That telescope scene is amazing...it really makes want to learn 3D...just for curiosity, how long it takes to create something like that?

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Incrue, rip out a month of your calendar to learn the program and a lifetime to develop the talent that Render has

Actually you should download from blender.org and get started. People usually say that the 3D tools are so big and incomprehensible for noobs but really it doesn't take long to learn the tools...from there you take a couple of tutorials in each discipline - like modeling, skinning, animating etc. and just practice a whole lot! Blender has a lot of great tutorials, it's free and it's open source! Check out the gallery too!
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

The demo is amazing!
    Hope you'll finish it one day.
    Good luck and happy coding!

Quote Originally Posted by phreax
    Incrue, rip out a month of your calendar to learn the program and a lifetime to develop the talent that Render has

Actually you should download from blender.org and get started. People usually say that the 3D tools are so big and incomprehensible for noobs
    Yeah, thats my first impression of 3D Max, seems that i would spend my whole life to learn it all, but i also suspect that many of those things are not that usefull and that they put on there just to show how big and powerfull their stuff is
    Thanks for the tip about blender, i'll give it a try

Student
    the very same scene with photometic lighting:

again 3dsmax and MentalRay, I used in this pic a z-Depth channel to compute the FocalBlur of the Camera wich gives it a little bit more of a cinematic atmosphere.
    The materials are still the same plain meterials, no textures no special maps yet used.
    I was not sure if the level of detail of polygons would be fitting into the rendering resolution later- but it seems to look just fine.
    The telescope needs some more details as it will have some close ups

Quote Originally Posted by phreax
    *edit* And Render, I'm tired of telling you, that the work you are doing is amazing
    still thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Incrue
    That telescope scene is amazing...it really makes want to learn 3D...just for curiosity, how long it takes to create something like that?
    one night the scene you saw,- though it was a long night perhaps like 6-8 hours? I am bad at remembering such things. So the telescope thingy perhaps 1h? has lots of instances that are reused.

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkOk
    looks cool. it's going to be some work to get the depth working. there are a lot of bit's that the character can be behind AND in front of
    a tricky one but I already have a solution for that

I use matte planes to knock out the elements I need and render the Camera twice. One showing everything just like it looks in the end, the other one only rendered with the foreground objects.
    The 2nd one showing just the forground objects clipped are used on the realtime Meshes that use it as texture map.
    The advantage is that even though I used 2d tricks its still sorted in 3d space so if the character walks behind objects it gets covered by the triangles that are infront.
    here is a pic that explains that better:

Slick.

well done render dude!
    i take it the same applies to the other side where the pole and wood stacks are

I could tell you how amazing your work is but I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the show

wikid
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade