A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: characters design & lowPoly

I don't suppose you'd be able to make an exception to the polygon limit for the sick sister? She really needs a nose.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Student
    neither the main charactor nor the mother have a polygon nose,- it´s all in the texture,- same will be for that sisiter,- but like earlier mentioned that´s still in progress
    and yes 300 is the holy limit

Amazing updates renderhjs!
    All characters and textures looks great, the only one thing that looks weird IMO is a troll.
    In my vision troll always associates with the one I saw in the first chapter of the "Lord of the Rings" movie.
    He must be bigger then human being and must have club.

Anyway, good job and keep posting updates!

Oh, i see...intersting to know that you find that the limit for flash is 300 triangles, so we can compare how much more can be done with fp10 and the new drawing api

Student
    300 triagnles -> I didn´t said for flash,- but for my engine. Perhaps it runs in another engine better or worse dunno.
    My earlier tests told me that if I want to display 2-3 characters at once I need about 200-300 triangles per character. Lucky me the performance went slightly better but 300 is a good practice for modeling and texturing.

Propably future flash version will be faster FlashPlayer 9 is absolutly okay with me- need to jump that early on FP 10.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Well, I absolutely love the playable character, the mother and the troll but the rest of the characters just don't seem as polished.
    The sister has an ok dress but the legs look unfinished and the 'hat' seems a bit off as well.
    The face is missing character. I cant figure out if it's her mouth or her nose you you have textured but I figure it's her nose and if it is I would place it a bit higher and give her a hint of a mouth, as with the rest of the characters.

The father is made in a completely different style which IMO doesn't fit the rest very well. I'll assume his dress isn't made yet, as it looks like a sketch, right?

I realise that the guard is wearing a mask but I think a little more care as to what the mask is there for and and overall idea for his position as guard would benefit the character. Also a little more love on his poncho would do good

Of course these are probably just mock-ups but hey, now you have another opinion - and obviously I wouldn't bother commenting unless I felt this was an awesome project
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Student
    I appreciate the comments and crits- because the characters are still pushed.
    The father and guard are done by another female student - if they differ to much in the end I´ll tweak them so that they resemble more the rest of the characters. This is also a team project so for us (3 students including me) its also important to learn pushing things in a group wich gets sometimes difficult when it comes to styles or expierence.

Wow, those 2 are lucky I figured it was something like that! As you said, all it needs is some tweaking I could see this as an explorative/adventure game hitting top of the charts!

Student
    been working on the GUI and the frame for the game,- this is a work in progress state, the green glowing arrow is the cursor:

all frame parts and the cursor are rendered in 3dsmax

Student
    another update,
    now with a sample dialogue:

What's up with that dialog box ?
    We all know you can do MUCH better than a bland plain gradient. I think you should design the dialog box, just like you've designed a cursor and a GUI.

I think the gradient works rather well. I do agree that it could benefit from a simple frame, and I am not completely happy about the character thumb. I would probably ditch the square, so it doesn't cut off the top of her head and instead add a dark glow - just a pixel or 2 - on the character. But really it's nitpicking as always! As I stated first, the colors for the gradient bg fits the game nicely

*edit* You could also go for a rounded box.

i think he's talkin more about how he got the black outline around the dynamic text. which is awesome
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Student
    the outline can be archived with a glow filter and a strength of 1000 and glow radius of 1 or 2- but nothing of that fancy screenshot has been ported to the flash file yet.

I posted those 2 here also to get some feedback,- I am struggeling myself if I should add frame ornaments on the dialogues as well (con: they might take in xtra space of wich I dont have that much left),- or let it stay clean. Someone suggested me making the cursor smaler- so maybe some stuff will change

i think you wanna be careful that you don't over do the baroque stuff. you don't wanna detract from the game it'self.
    remember that the best gui is no gui at all.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Wow man, I know you know this, but your work is really impressing! You certainly have a good future in this area. When is the project deadline? You work really fast btw.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

Student
    more 3d,
    created building parts and some plants for the connecting zone between day and night

and

soon they´ll be intergrated into the level a friend of me has been working on. Like now they are not really connected yet

That's a work of an artist,nice textures,and a realistic bump.

Do you make your own textures?
    Thats amazing.

Just wondering. How longs that take to render?
    Ryan :]

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Yo render, which renderer did you use for those temple shots? The lighting looks great.

Everything is so detailed, how long did you guys get for this project? Is this your only project at school or do you still have to worry about other classes?