A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIR, Shu, Zinc and SWFStudio

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Okay, that's about as far as it goes. You guys can continue exchanging love notes via PM but keep it out of here.

fyi

Adobe does allow developers to redistribute the Adobe AIR installer. You can find more information here:

http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/200...ime-installer/

and

http://www.adobe.com/products/air/ru...ribution1.html

However, we do not allow the redistribution of just the runtime or parts of the runtime (i.e. you cannot run AIR application without installing Adobe AIR).

from the comments on that post:

--
    Furthermore, Adobe has not granted any software tool provider or other party the right do to so. Adobe does not encourage the use of any software that promotes a prohibited use of Adobe AIR or relies on undocumented capabilities.
    --

So, in most, if not all cases, using Shu to distribute AIR applications (and parts of the AIR runtime) that dont require that Adobe AIR be installed is prohibited by the licensing for Adobe AIR.

You could of course write an installer that first installed Adobe AIR, and then your application though. You just need to apply for a license to redistribute the installer.

Hope that helps clarify...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

So, in most, if not all cases,
    ??

What about the flash player in Zinc and SWFStudio? That output seems to fall short of redistribution too.

installation issues for air app using shu

We've had problems installing our air apps with Shu (not ShuSA or Shulite)
    if Air is already installed the installation fails, if Air is not already installed
    it works OK.

The air app without Shu installs fine.

Also we've had horrible support from Shu, has anyone else had
    the same experience.

I tried Zinc and SWFStudio last year and didn't really like SWFStudio. Zinc was pretty good but not really useful enough to warrant the cost. I do like making custom projectors, though.
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

I tried Zinc and SWFStudio last year and didn't really like SWFStudio
    Can I ask why? You can reply here or PM me. All feedback, even the negative stuff, helps me make the software better.

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    We've been using SWF Studio for 3+ years and have been amazed with the support we've gotten (thanks NC!) on their forum and others (like FK).

It took a little using to get the syntax and calls figured out, but, after getting some good guidance and lots of samples, we've got it down pretty well.

We've recently had a client who needs a mac delivered CD, so we're looking into AIR, Zinc and Shu. I think it's crazy because all we need is for the exe to open folders on the CD for the user to explore. Seems like a large expense just to avoid having to say "Navigate to the 'resources' folder on your CD to see the supporting files." but, that's the clients call.
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Brian! Don't cross over to the dark side.. talk to me

lol...you guys have a Mac version yet? Or know if a way, other than Zinc, to have flash on the Mac open a folder on a CD??

I'm sure if we end up going the Zinc route, we'll just use it on the Mac side and use SWF Studio on the PC side...

Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Or know if a way, other than Zinc, to have flash on the Mac open a folder on a CD??
    Just use fscommand and an compiled AppleScript script. One solution (for opening the application folder) is in the sticky (FAQ) thread for this forum!

Excellent! I'll check into that and see if that meets the client need...

Thanks!!

Hmm...tried what was in the sticky and it kept opening in the browser...even following your other tip in another newsgroup about not using the / on the end of the path, still got the browser...
    Anyway, the client may be pulling back on the mac version, so I'll just use SWFStudio...until they decide to go mac...YAY!! So easy...

Then I'll come back and try this some more...

Thanks!

Is SWF Studio looking at making an Mac version, any eta if so?

There will never be a MAC version of SWF Studio because we won't release a MAC version unless it works EXACTLY like the Windows version and that would be impossible with SWF Studio, there's just too much Windows specific functionality in there.

Northcode Thing

Hi Tim - what happened with this? Wasn't this at one time going to be Northcode's route to Mac apps?

Thanks

That was the plan. We showed Thing at Flash Forward in New York in 2003 but the response was somewhat underwhelming. It turns out that nobody REALLY wanted a Mac version. The few people that did want it REALLY wanted it but they weren't willing to pony up 10X what the Windows version sold for to offset the cost of development and support

Even today if you look at the forums of the companies that do sell Mac versions of their software they get about 1/10th of the traffic you see for their Windows products. And it's not a lot of activity, mostly complaints about why feature X doesn't work on the Mac and why nothing works on Mac OS 10 point whatever. It just doesn't make sense to put the same level of effort into development and support for a product that will get you 1/10th of the return.

You have to not care about the quality of your software, not care about providing great support or not care about staying in business. We like our customers too much to do what our competitors have done, i.e. release software that sucks and dodge support calls and emails when things get rough and users demand working software.

Our Mac/Win player engine is still alive and works on everything from OS 9.2 to the latest version of OS X (under Rosetta for Intel support). We use it for custom projects but we don't have a commercial version like SWF Studio.

Will we ever release Thing? It's possible. It's more likely that we'll license the technology to people that REALLY want it instead of trying to support the world. I think the release of AIR 2.0 is going to shake things up so we have to see what happens there and how the market responds before we make any long term plans.