A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: need support and Reviews on my Flash Multitouch project :)

need support and Reviews on my Flash Multitouch project :)

hi flash community,

I am participating in google summer of code, and applying a project "A multitouch based ebook reading tool"

Flash has to be used as main development tool here. Please see the 28 kb attached PDF application i have prepared and send reviews on that.
    Three pages total.

After reading please suggest

1. What should i do in order to fetch a word's synonym from an online dictionary e.g wikitionary ?

2. Does flash support PDF? any techniques?

3. Also suggest any other features you would like to see in the project.
    I'll surely include the cool ones.
    Community review is going to help me lots.

Feel free criticizing, suggesting and reviewing

thanks a ton,

anirudh sharma
    Attached Files Attached Files

I don't think that flash supports pdf.
    What version of actionscript are you using? I think you could work out a system with actionscript 3.0 because 3.0 is able to load the data of a text file without having &variable= to get the correct formating. Then you could just find out what text the webpage will typically have from the page source and parse it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by swak
    I don't think that flash supports pdf.
    What version of actionscript are you using? I think you could work out a system with actionscript 3.0 because 3.0 is able to load the data of a text file without having &variable= to get the correct formating. Then you could just find out what text the webpage will typically have from the page source and parse it that way.
    I am using as 3.0, ...anyway , how can i make the scrapbook feature work in flash ( people can select text and drap and drop it on a icon on the top of the page, the text should automatically be saved to a file on the disc), please read the updated PDF attached..

i also want to port this application on an iphone, if you think you can help, you are welcome to contribute in this open source project .

thanks

Hi,

a while ago I was faced with converting EPS to swf. The - then - macromedia flash application said something like "while eps is on our list of supported formats, we unfortunately cannot handle this particular one", the - then - adobe illustrator said that fonts were missing, although they were not
    I ended up with a scripted workflow where
    - the eps was converted to a very low version of pdf without compression (ghostscript)
    - a perl script extracted elements from the pdf and wrote a php/ming script
    - ming was used to create the final swf.
    This is obviously a process that would happen outside the book, similar to flashpaper. The presence of ghostscript in the pipeline means that even files which might cause problems with adobe reader can probably be read.

Musicman

In order to save to the desktop you will have to use Adobe AIR which will allow you to make a desktop application with flash. I suggest you look into AIR because if you do want to use it, it may provide a lot of capabilities that you would want.

updated proposal

hi music and swak

i am updated the proposal to make my idea seem more clearer to you

suggest me on how will be using wikitionary to fetch the word's meanings? see the proposal for more details... added images too.

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

First of all, what wikitionary do you want to use. The parse method that I'm talking about will be completely context dependent. Second, I'm not sure how multitouch would work but I think that you could just listen for multiple mouse press events. Beyond this I couldn't guess.

i am interested in fetching words synonym from a free online dictionary. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page

please see the application, will adobe AIR be beneficial. i will check it out for sure, is it opensource?