A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The death of the interface.....?

The death of the interface.....?

Hey all,
    Over the past couple of years or so we've seen some great technical advancements in Flash development which has allowed developers to take full advantage of utilizing the entire browser window for creating a truly interactive, full-screen Flash experience. Today, this trend couldn't more apparent as just about every major design house is incorporating some iteration of a liquid layout into their personal and client sites respectively, which has allowed us, the enthusiasts and designers alike, to really benefit from some very intriguing creative work. This tool has seemingly raised the bar in terms of interactive web design, and has allowed the designer to step outside the confines of graphic parameters and completely explore the extent of their imaginations.

However, I think this trend has also taken a turn in the direction of fad. One of the things that initially attracted me to graphic/web design was the idea of creating this specific, aesthetically interesting space to which one could navigate within and interact with its' content. Much of the 'design' I'm seeing today is truly lacking any graphical fortitude. Many sites, while functionally sound, are not at all visually designed. It appears that we have more people interested in developing as opposed to designing....? Perhaps the contrast between the developer and the designer? But I think the two worlds can be combined..... I'd just hate to see the creativity disappear, while the technology improves.

*waits for this guy to post a link to his site, so EVP can slam dunk him*
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

...now, don't get me wrong, I love a site that speaks loudly with little effort, especially the minimalistic style of most photo sites out there. The clean aesthetic compliments the premise perfectly. I would just hate to se that become the norm across the board.

selling product or writing thesis?

It's not clear to me what you're referring to.

What do you consider "graphical fortitude?"

Can you post examples of this trait? Examples of designs you feel are lacking?
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

hahaha... onine, neither. just an enthusiast expressing an opinion.

in terms of examples, hmmmm... I'll need to do some scouring. but some quick references to what I consider well designed interfaces, (including fullscreen) would be: (I'll post the bad later)

http://www.f1play.com/main/index.html

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/u...site/home.html

http://bowenstudios.com/

http://www.enricopellizzoni.com/main.php?lang=ing

http://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/pcc...thid=&lang=eng

Now this is a REALLY small list, I know I can think of many, many more....

The "death of the interface" is quite the over-statement. Despite your hyperbole, I'd fully disagree.

The problem you're stating will always exist. A few people get it. Some others just will not.

Innovate or not. That's always been the case in any artform over the ages. This is nothing new.

If you wanted to talk about the death of good type, then I'd agree. People suck at using proper type. Tracking, kerning, and even proper usage of fonts in the proper location(s) here and there is just officially awful now.

But that's another rant I'll save for another day. Interfaces right now are more open due to the Apple, Microsoft, Fantasy-Interactive, Kai Krause, and other types out there.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I think this is a matter of using the wrong terminology. An "interface" exists equally in a simple design just as much as in an elaborate one.

What you seem to be referring to is how "designed" an interface is. But, just a year or two ago, you probably could not have produced such a list of links so easily. It seems like more heavily designed sites are showing up more often than before, the opposite of dying out.

Also, I think it's fairly understandable that some products, messages, content, etc. have different levels of need for fancy design. It really isn't necessary for a company selling work-boots or used books to have as stylized or elaborate looking design. It may simply be more important to some companies to have a site that is familiar to the most users and easy to use rather than emphasizing a unique vision of things.

sure, for sake of reference and accuracy, I am referring to the creation of the designed graphical interface which defines a specific space through the usage of graphics and borders. I understand that an interface is mereley a vehicle to deliver content in which one interacts. However, I think there is a rising trend to be noted.

Perhaps the usage of full browser technology is being used as an excuse by some to not have to "design" because they are unable to successfully fuse the formats. Although there is a rise in elaborately designed sites, could the influx of minimalistic design be rising at a greater rate?

The future is place where the interface disappears. (iphone)

The rise of multi touch sensors will give way to a whole new interaction with computers and the web. ( I hope)

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/65
    soon. We are not there yet.

But the days of the glossy button are over for sure.

Look to phones/pda's/ipods/car cpu's to set the trends for the rest to follow.

This guys does some SICK interfaces for sci-fi flicks.
    http://www.teknoel.com/

I don't define interface the same way you are. It's not a "vehicle to deliver content." An interface consists of functionality that accepts input and returns output. To me, the graphics or design is the vehicle that communicates to the user how the interface is supposed to work.

What do you mean by "full browser technology?"

It's tough to say what types of designs are being used more. It would help to have some examples of the designs you don't like. All I can say about minimalistic designs is that they can actually require just as much creativity and thought as complex ones. Sometimes, less is more. It's possible that a minimal design is more effective in some circumstances. Sometimes, a minimal design might simply be all a client can afford. More graphics, 3D models, animations, sounds, games, etc. cost money.

Quote Originally Posted by asun2art
    The future is place where the interface disappears. (iphone)

The rise of multi touch sensors will give way to a whole new interaction with computers and the web. ( I hope)

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/65
    soon. We are not there yet.
    We will never be there. Just because we can interact with something through a multi touch screen does not mean it lacks an interface, far from it. Instead it has a new type of interface that we aren't used to. There is no way to control/interact with something without an interface. This is true for human to human interaction too, so the interface will always be present in human to computer interaction. If you've used the iphone then you will know that it does infact have shiny buttons, so they won't disappear just yet.

I'm going to out-TED all those mofo's and be the first to market "de-finger-greasing solution."

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    I'm going to out-TED all those mofo's and be the first to market "de-finger-greasing solution."
    Selling stock yet? I'd be behind something like this in a moment.

Since it would pretty much be Windex, the product would simply be a bottle with a label that says "de-finger-greaser."

It's always something like that that makes someone the real cash on inventions.

[Can you picture me up there on one of these ridiculous TED videos? "And, as you can see, you pull the squirting mechanism and apply the solution to the screen. Scrub gently... and... wallah! No finger grease!" *oooohhh* *aaaaaaah*]
    Last edited by FlashLackey; 04-09-2008 at 02:56 AM.

I thought you'd pull out nano-something or the like.

So disappointed.

Oh. There's still time to come up with a snappy name... like... "Snappy!"

"Sorry guys! Wrong convention! I thought this was where 1000 people come together to share ideas that make Mon-Nay!"

Interesting & valid points. Of course there is a time and place for everything, and many projects don't warrant or require an elaborate design aesthetic.

I love the multi-touch interface, it's an amazing concept with seemingly endless possibilities. But even that encourages the same thoughts regarding the presence of a graphically designed interface. I look at it as an art, and hopefully these advances don't turn it into a lost art as we progress into more intuitive methods of interacton.

Nothing physical is intuitive. It takes years to master a spoon.

I don't think they will. There will and has always been a place for art in conjunction with functionality. It just shouldn't be there uninvited, imo.