A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help Choosing a CMS

Help Choosing a CMS

Hi there

I am a graphic and Flash designer who is looking for a user-friendly CMS that can build and maintain highly graphic websites with some flash content.

i installed Joomla, but from what I can see so far, I can't easily integrate a graphic nav, among other issues.

I'd appreciate any input - I'm finding myself stuck!

thanks much
    SS

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Ask ten people you will get ten different answers most likely. Once you decide what YOU are looking for in a CMS (feature wise) you should definitely stop by opensourcecms.com because they carry links to the most popular open source cms's, have a features matrix to compare against and also have running examples of each cms (both front end and admin) for every one they list. Sort of a try before you buy (without the buy )

Count me as one of those 10...
    http://expressionengine.com/

I've used joomla and drupal and quite honestly, they just don't measure up.

I will say this, the learning curve is steap...very, very, very steap. There docs are pretty good but you will find as a beginner that they may not always answer your questions.

With that said, there is a robust community behind EE and you will find some very generous folks willing to help out.

As far as features go...if you can imagine it, it can do it. There are quite a few third parties building extensions, modules, and plugins for it to give you all the bells and whistles.

You'd be surprised how many sites you've visited are built on it.

It is not free...a personal licenses is about $100, comercial is $259.00.
    But...you get what you pay for.

You can however download their core which they offer for free. This is a stripped down version but if you're using this just as a cms and you don't need a whole bunch of extra features this is a good way to find out if EE is for you.
    Last edited by hothousegraphix; 04-17-2008 at 03:55 PM.

EE, or ExpressionEngine, really isn't worth paying for. I started coding a CMS/Forum system from scratch a few days ago, and I'm almost ready to test it out. If you want to learn PHP, a simple CMS would be a decent start. It doesn't take long to make something basic.

There are some systems I would recommend, though. First of all, you should try PHPBlaster. It's an open source CMS I randomly found through Google, which is a search engine I highly recommend. Second of all, I have tried PHPBB, which is pretty much the best forum software there is, and you could probably find ways to use it as a CMS.

BTW: Very nice site. <3
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.