A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What does Flex do that Flash/AS3 can't? I want to learn!

absolutezero3424

What does Flex do that Flash/AS3 can't? I want to learn!

I would like to learn Flex from what little I've heard about it, but FIRST, can someone tell me what the main purpose of Flex is? How does an RIA differ from something very robust & dynamic developed in Flash/AS3? In essence, why should I learn Flex? somebody sell me, plz! =)

Also, what do I need to own to develop in Flex? I bought Flash CS3 to develop in AS3 for example. What will I need for Flex?
    Is Flex just a BETTER Flash?

thx for your clarification!

absolutezero3424
    24 people have viewed this thread and I haven't even gotten a single comment? what's up?

Student
    flex is for the coders who want a elegant solution to access data like tables,- database stuff ect. and less care about core flash developing. Flex is strongly bound to the skins (components) so a coder can quickly create a working flash application wich works,- looks modern and isn´t hard to code. The big con is that you rely on alot of frameworks and its not so easy to create custom visuals for interactive stuff like interfaces or games.

If you are a designer the Flash environment is the better choise,- if you are a programmer that creates games, interactive new interfaces and more advanced flash stuff AS3 imo. is the way to go.

From what I expierenced so far Flex earned lots of Buzznews meaning lots of people talk about it but only a few know about it. The same we had with xml a few years ago or the WEB2.0 a year ago.

Flex is a standalone application wich can be downloaded as a beta,- Flex 2 was commercial not sure about the current situation. It´s a eclipse (IBM orgins) environment with a Flex compiler built in. Also with Flex (2+) you can compile and create AS3 flash movies with full class library support ect. but its more for the coder only people nothing for designers they´ll miss the stage to drop some graphics on it.

absolutezero3424
    Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    If you are a designer the Flash environment is the better choise,- if you are a programmer that creates games, interactive new interfaces and more advanced flash stuff AS3 imo. is the way to go.
    when you say that, do you mean hard-core programmers should be using Flex w/ AS3 or Flash CS3 w/ AS3? I'm assuming you meant Flex.

So what do I get when I buy Flex 2/3 from Adobe?

Student
    no I meant that if you want to draw something and work with that in flash the Flash IDE is the way to go. Library manegement and asset manegement is a pain in the ass without the IDE.
    If you are a programmer you dump the code editor in Flash CS3 anyway since its slow and not so powerfull. Flashdevelop, Flex or FDT are better choises to be used in combination with Flash CS3.

It´s been always the way that if you want to take the most advantage out of flash you need the flash Program,- not some funky special tool that does only a certain job better.

What you get when you buy Flex 2/3? go to Adobe yourself to find out
    but like I said its basicly eclipse with some GUI editor and a compiler for Flex/AS3 stuff. And like I said before with Flex (programm) you can also build AS3 content, infact it was the first propper tool out there to create AS3 stuff, even before CS3 was relesed with Flex 2.