A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Fuzzy text.. Grrr!!!

Fuzzy text.. Grrr!!!

So it's the usual fuzzy text problem; text appears "fuzzy" instead of crisp.

I have tried everything I know, from transform reset to 100% to ensuring position has no decimal points in the info tab. I've been working on this prob for more than a day now so anyone who can solve it I'd be most appreciative!

Here it is: Look at the play and forward buttons: www.stedeford.com/photography

Here is the fla file:
    www.stedeford.com/photography/main2d.fla

If anyone can solve this one for me, you're a star.

Many thanks,

Matt

On those button who doesnt work well:

Make the textbox ''static'' not dynamic. On the Hit frame, put a full square(apply a color in it) on your textbox, it helps sometime.
    Last edited by domdomr; 04-20-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Assuming you're working in Flash 8 or higher, you have several options for text antialiasing, including custom values. When you select your text box, try setting the dropdown to "Antialias for readability", or since you're using a bitmap font, you could try "Bitmap text (no antialias)".

you can try to EMBED the font as turn OFF SELECTABLE option too see if that helps at all..

It seems good now, I visited the website today and buttons are okay.

What was the problem dude?

Quote Originally Posted by domdomr
    It seems good now, I visited the website today and buttons are okay.

What was the problem dude?
    Hi,

No the problem has not gone away. It is exactly the same. Look at the PLAY and FORWARDS buttons. I have made them in exactly the same as the other two buttons/movie clips. Yes they are static. So are the others. Yet these two are fuzzy. This makes no sense to me. Why would 2 out of 4 identical buttons be displayed fuzzy?

www.stedeford.com/photography

I have tried all the above suggestions. No use.

Any further ideas?

This seems a bit of a pathetic and major bug if it is a bug? By flash 8 surely something as basic as this should have been sorted?

If any pro's can take a look at the fla file and tell me whats wrong I'd be deeply appreciative.

I dont see any problem on those 2 buttons O_o

And I just checked them on your website, 1 min ago.

I see a problem with them here, and I've checked on 2 different PCs, a laptop, and a power mac. It's slight, but it is definitely there. The 'forward' button is slightly fuzzy in the x direction compared to the crisp 'stop' button.

Perhaps you're not looking carefully enough?

Hope someone can help me resolve this soon!.

I'm unable to download your fla, I get a "File not found" page.

oj

Quote Originally Posted by Judakei
    I'm unable to download your fla, I get a "File not found" page.
    sorry, FLA is here: www.stedeford.com/photography/main2H.fla

The download still won't start for me. You can try uploading it to a file host site.

It's working fine here, also tested it on 2 other PCs, a laptop PC, a Power Mac G5, my friend's laptop, and my other friend's laptop so don't think there's anything wrong with the link.

Try refresh your browser cache, restart your PC, use a different browser, erase temp files, etc etc or Try from a different PC.

Alright, I got it. However, I don't have the Acrobatix font, so I can't test any fixes.

One thing you could try is to set the x and y positions of all of your buttons to an integer. Right now they're all at something other than "#.0", and that may cause the blur effect you're seeing. Another thing you can try, as long as the font looks the same, is to set it to "Bitmap text (no anti-aliasing)", on the text field properties. They're all on "Anti-alias for animation" right now, and the blurring that you're seeing is actually flash anti-aliasing the text.
    Last edited by Judakei; 04-28-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judakei
    Alright, I got it. However, I don't have the Acrobatix font, so I can't test any fixes.

One thing you could try is to set the x and y positions of all of your buttons to an integer. Right now they're all at something other than "#.0", and that may cause the blur effect you're seeing. Another thing you can try, as long as the font looks the same, is to set it to "Bitmap text (no anti-aliasing)", on the text field properties. They're all on "Anti-alias for animation" right now, and the blurring that you're seeing is actually flash anti-aliasing the text.
    Sorry, I thought I had already mentioned this, my fault. I have already tried these fixes a number of times. They haven't worked. The fuzzy text in question is #.0 in all fuzzy cases, so I'm not sure why you're reading it as something other than #.0.

Here is the font: www.stedeford.com/photography/00Acrobatix.ttf

If anyone can provide any help to solve this small (but critical for flash) issue, I'd be most apprciateive!

Thanks
    Last edited by matt99b; 04-29-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Now that I have the font, I can say that your problem is definitely that the positions of the buttons are not resting on integers. The arrow and square graphics beside the text is also not aligned to show properly.

Make sure you're checking the buttons x and y position, not the text fields themselves. The text fields are fine, but if their parents are not aligned properly, then the text fields will be off as well. This is what I'm seeing now, after the buttons and graphics are set to #.0 on both axis: