A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Jumping directly to a frame using HTML link

Jumping directly to a frame using HTML link

Hi,
    I'd like to be able to create an HTML link to jump to a specific frame within a Flash movie.

The reason, I have a site that has lots of videos on it (http://manufacturing.stanford.edu). A lot of teachers want to create a link to a certain part of the video and skip past the stuff that's not relevant to what they're teaching.

*** Is this possible? If so, does anyone have example code (and a website) where this is being done? ***

My guess is that it would be a QueryString in the HTML link, passing it to a variable within Flash. I realize that to jump to that frame, it has to be loaded, so I'd probably have to wait until that frame is loaded before jumping there.

I'd imagine it to look something like:

http://manufacturing.stanford.edu/he...l?FrameJump=25

Teachers could cut and paste this into their course website to jump to the specific video cut.

Thanks!

You cannot jump to a frame within your movie if you did not specify that on frame 1 of your movie. The movie always starts at frame 1.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I think mvmartin's on about cue points. You need a system where the teachers can log the part of the movie they want to jump to. Then use external interface to get query string tell flash which part of the movie to start at.

Cue points are specific to video and not to a flash movie.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I think mv needs to clarify -

A lot of teachers want to create a link to a certain part of the video and skip past the stuff that's not relevant to what they're teaching.
    I'm assuming there will only be one flash frame which loads in the particular video, so reference to the video and then reference to the part of video - hence - cuepoints.