A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Epic RPG (demo - need feedback)

[CS3] Epic RPG (demo - need feedback)

This is an AS1 game, but I may upgrade to AS2 or AS3 if need be. Anyway, it's a community-based story, so anyone outside the community, Syboard, may not get all the jokes and may not care about the plot. Nevertheless, it's a small community, so I don't get a lot of feedback to work on. What do you think of the game demo?

You can download the Windows executable at http://www.syboard.net/adventures/SyA-OD.exe

The browser-based version is at http://www.syboard.net/adventures/SyA-OD.html

The Mac (and not what I recommend) version is at http://www.syboard.net/adventures/SyA-OD.app.7z

The game will allow the use of your mouse and keyboard to navigate the menu system, because I'm more of a console-style fan but understand the mouse can be more comfortable. However, I will be using a little of both for the game mechanics, for example, the ability to use your telekinesis will be controlled solely by your mouse movements while you walk with the arrow keys.

More information is available in the README.txt!
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

Seems to work fine, the guy moves a bit slowly

What are we supposed to be testing? There does not seem to be any content in the game yet, but the engine seems pretty good.

Is combat supposed to work yet? Because when I got 'attacked' there was nothing there except what I assume is my party because they just followed me around. I had to quit because I could not find a way to exit the screen (I tried walking to both edges).

I found the whole game a little slow personally, movement rates on all screens, especially the city screen and the combat screen were rather painful. If this is because of browser slowdown, I would look into using time based movement instead of frame based movement.

Looks like a decent start.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I only walked around and talked to the NPC at the beginning.

The character does move incredibly slow.

You press "A" to talk but have to press "Enter" to continue the conversation. That's a bit unintuitive, you should be able to continue the conversation with the key you start the conversation with.

I would suggest studying a certain RPG that you're trying to base it on and learn from its design. Take notes and see if you can take what has made it successful and apply it to your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alluvian
    What are we supposed to be testing? There does not seem to be any content in the game yet, but the engine seems pretty good.

Is combat supposed to work yet? Because when I got 'attacked' there was nothing there except what I assume is my party because they just followed me around. I had to quit because I could not find a way to exit the screen (I tried walking to both edges).
    Thanks for testing the game. There really isn't any content to it. I'm still working on the game mechanics. The slime can hurt you but never kill you, however, if you slash at the slime, it will die, and you should receive a victory message. Alternately, you can type "worldmap" into the console window, and it will end the battle prematurely.

I'm hearing that movement is slow from practically everyone, so I will speed the walking up, but are the menus alright?
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

Ah, I didn't know the slime was even an enemy. It didn't look any more menacing than the characters in my party or the little dragon whelp thingy/familiar flying after one of them. I could have sworn I swung in its direction randomly a few times though.

The controls in combat still feel a little 'stiff' right now. And the movement speed is really goofy when you consider he can jump the full height of the screen, and when he comes back down he has only traveled about the width of the character.

Student
    some graphic lifting for the invironments wouldn´t hurt. Overal I see some potential- but GUI, graphics and controls need to be more streamlined.