A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First game in silverlight ?

Oh god, I always hate these discussion about MS vs Apple, cut it out already!

Furthermore it seems obvious that a lot of people here pass their judgement while they've never even looked at it. Also, keep in mind that Silverlight is young and still under heavy development.

There are a few things with Silverlight that realy make it interesting (atleast for me). I haven't worked a lot with it yet (there's still to little documentation available) therefor I am unable to give a full detailed review or anything. Also, I must admit I have never realy gotten into Flex so I don't know how well it competes with Silverlight or Visual Studio.

- According to Amazon, Flash costs $626.88 while Visual Studio costs $259.99 (Flex costs $249)
    - A lot of developers have Visual Studio already anyway and Silverlight is free
    - Decent debugging
    - XAML (databinding!)
    - LINQ
    - It will be crossbrowser and crossplatform
    - I dislike Adobe

I reccommend all sceptics to check out the wiki aswell as information about XAML and LINQ.

Edit:
    Some of the samples from the Wiki:
    Easy skinning of the .net components thanks to XAML (try this in Flash).
    http://www.corrina_b.members.winisp..../Testpage.html

Pretty cool demo (yes this could be made in Flash aswell, who cares):
    http://memorabilia.hardrock.com/

A simple game (with source though):
    http://www.markheath.me.uk/SilverNibbles/
    Last edited by SaphuA; 04-26-2008 at 07:26 AM.

I too, keep getting Install Silverlight, even though I have it already.

Not very promising.

Crossplatform as in OSX and Windows, who really cares.

When it comes to games Flash has not exactly been crossplatform. Have you guys been playing Flash games on Macs all these years? It's useless. Considering that Macs account for about 6% of all machines, it's safe to say that still only about 1/2 of that ( 3% of web population ) can play anything done with Flash. Statistically totally insignificant population.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Capwn
    Here is something innovative that Microsoft did recently if you don't believe me.
    Um, they purchased that technology from an independant source. In fact is was first rumoured to be an Apple product, and then finally MS announced it had acquired it.

Um, they purchased that technology from an independant source. In fact is was first rumoured to be an Apple product, and then finally MS announced it had acquired it.
    Isn't that what they all do. Bill Gates purchased the OS that started him on the road to riches. It's not like tha guy ever invented anything himself.

Steve Jobs and Wozniak stole mouse and GUI ideas from xerox and things like that.

I doubt either one ( MS or Apple ) invent anything at all ( Final cut pro, Shake, Motion, everything bought from somebody else ).

There's nothing wrong with that. It's a common business practice and if it makes business sense, I have no problem with it. Just calling out Al's "innovative" defense of MS.

(Disclaimer: I use PC and Windows products).

I dont get it,

I hit "Play" i get the silverlight installer to come up, I hit run, then install, and it says complete, refresh your browser, I do so and hit play again, and boom it comes up with another installer, so I install again, it says complete I refresh bowser hit play and boom, another installer.

Well installing silverlight 5 times was enough for me, I guess I just wasnt ment to see the game =(

Here's an another SIlverlight game
    http://www.farseergames.com/Diver/DiverPlay.aspx

And afaik you have to restart your browser, not refresh.

Diver was fun until it threw me some error in Silverlight (think it was in stage 2).

For the people who have to keep installing SL: according to this post it's due to people messing up their SL project by using old/wrong files. My guess is that if you uninstall SL and then go here, everything should be fine.

Developer
    Yeah all you have to do is uninstall any old version and reinstall the latest version. I've had similar problems with the Flash Player.

I didn't find that diving game fun though. It was taking me too long to learn. It should have a better tutorial which explicitly shows the mouse movements needed.
    now known as dVyper

doItLikeThis
    The heck!

I installed the silverlight plugin for FF last week and played that Zombomatic game on miniclip.

Now, when I click on this diver game link, again its showing the Install Microsoft Silverlight image.

I dunno about old new, nor too keen. I have installed the damn plugin and it should work.

I am outta here.
    -Aditya

Like I said, this is due to people using wrong config files. If you uninstall SL and install from the MS website you'll have the latest version, and website it doesn't work on either uses an old SL version or has their config files messed up.

doItLikeThis
    Thanks for the info mate.

If they can provide an installer for the silverlight player, couldn't they do a correct version check/overwrite in the installer itself and let the audience be at ease. :P
    -Aditya

lol, never mind what I said about the penetration issues.

And I don't find microsoft to be super innovative, but I don't think that apple is really any better. People just seem to take a lot of the things MS does for granted, and then get all psyched when Apple comes out with a shinier button. (Zomg, it gets shinier when you rollover!)
    America!