A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First game in silverlight ?

First game in silverlight ?

A silverlight game on miniclip
    http://www.miniclip.com/games/zombomatic/fr/

Student
    Your browser may not be supported by Microsoft Silverlight.
    Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...uirements.aspx for more information.
    rofl and goodbye

Looks like they are up to Flash4 level now

I already tried it (in IE), works ok. Then again, nothing Flash could not handle.

I was forced to set up Silverlight a few days ago. (Weird error on Microsoft Update.) This is the first thing I've found that requires it!

Silverlight does seem to run faster than Flash, but I'm not really sure it's Silverlight that's fast, because I usually have other programs running, and I had only Firefox open. This game, Zombomatic, is your average pipe game, and really, I don't like it.
    GetLives Arcade: Play games, nothing else.
    This site is nothing but Flash-powered games. If you're bored, try a few of them.

Its good to see they are not afraid of new stuff
    Soon we will see the first Unity game on miniclip

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    How about vertical sync, ultra smooth bitmap rotating/scaling and consistent framerates?

That's not flash 4, that'll be flash 11. maybe 12. If we're lucky.

Adobe might fix those things sooner if people start migrating to silverlight....

How about vertical sync, ultra smooth bitmap rotating/scaling and consistent framerates?
    I love all those, but they are meaningless when the final product looks like a Flash4 demo.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    This game is just a direct clone of the hacking segments from Bioshock. Boo.

There was another Miniclip Silverlight game posted in that big Silverlight thread a couple weeks ago. It was a more fleshed out than this one, a better example of the software.

ahh Mike, there is no stopping you and your enthusiasm

At a guess, based on nothing other than thoughts from my head, I would say Silverlight is capable of much more and that game is probably someone's first / proof of concept project in Silverlight. Just cos that game could have been done in Flash4 doesn't mean all SL content will be that way.

I'm personally interested in Silverlight, though deeply love developing games in Flash, you know the more bows on your tool, or whatever the saying is.

Chris x

I thought I already had Silverlight installed. Apparently not. It made me download the installer and then said my browser/os is not compatible or something to that effect (I run XP and Firefox).

Oh well, your loss Microsoft. I'm not going to jump through hoops to get your player to work.

I'm pretty excited for Silverlight. I feel that flash kinda stinks now, it is so buggy and has been getting steadily more difficult to use. Adobe is slow with updates that it should have had way long ago, and the only reason that it is even still around is:

1. It already has the initial market penetration 2. There are no alternative programs

The thing that I like about Microsoft, at least, is that they tend to fix all of their bugs after the initial horrible buggy release. They did it with Zune 2, Vista is getting better now, Windows Moviemaker, and they're becoming quite innovative with their newer technologies. Plus, Silverlight will be designed for the Operating System, so it will probably have some speed improvements, and get hardware support a lot sooner.
    America!

Al, you forgot to put that between <sarcasm> tags

I'm sure I tried this before and it died on it's arse, works for me now though.

As a game it is what it is. Nothing wow, and I guess it'll get more attention for the format it's in rather than what it plays like ( This thread for example ).

If nothing else it shows that portals are willing to try formats other than Flash / Shockwave, which is a good thing.

Squize.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Sure, I can't imagine why any portal willing to use shockwave would have a problem with silverlight.

It will have more difficulty penetrating flash-only sites and competing with projects where flash is the only plugin normally considered.

I'm still really curious to know whether the 1.1 plugin will run c# code without the user having .NET installed. That for me will make all the difference as to whether I consider getting to grips with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    Al, you forgot to put that between <sarcasm> tags
    I meant what I said. I (personally) have had a splendid time with Vista, once I got it set up. Moviemaker 2 is at least as good as iMovie, and the Zune 2 beats out the ipod, hands down. Read some reviews, it has received very high ratings.
    Here is something innovative that Microsoft did recently if you don't believe me.

If Microsoft is smart, they'll slip in the silverlight plugin as an update, so penetration won't be much of an issue, except with Mac users (assuming that Apple doesn't also follow suit).
    America!

The thing with microsoft is they only make their products work best on internet explorer, windows media player, etc, etc. Once they ditch that then they could be onto somthing.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Professional Flash Developer
    This is a serious question, so don't laugh (out loud so I can hear at least). Does anyone think/know if Microsoft will create a Mac OS Silverlight player? If not, I don't think I will use it to make browser games.

Dont see why they would expand SL to anywhere beside Win/IE and Xbox. Its not just about providing content for your competitors, keepind the supported platform minimum also allows to gain better perfomance and security.

Developer
    It's my turn to ask that no one laughs.

I though the whole point of Silverlight was that it was a competitor to Flash, as in, it is already cross platform. At least that's what the silverlight website says...
    now known as dVyper