A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Writers Block

Hybrid View

Writers Block

I seriously hate the end of the year when all the term papers start rolling in. I only have this week and next week till exams.

I am in the process of writing a 10 page paper about photography and how it has effected my life bleh bleh. It is for creative non fiction writing so it can't just be like "i like photography wheeee" it has to be well crafted and sound good.

I don't even know what I want to include in it....
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Include the photograhy forums.

Write about the insight and impact of photography on a culture
    From the landscape pictures of Ansel Adams to social commentary of
    Dorothea Lange (actually reverse order Lange came first)

Write about photography as a daily experience what gets you to pick up a camera and go. What has changed to make taking pictures a ritual in your life.

Write it. Or I'll send my psycho-chick-attraction mojo directly to you.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

You already gave me your crazy mod magnet...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Then don't doubt my powers.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I have a write-up on differentiating fish mitochondrial cytochrome-b genes so there.

Just start writing, regardless of grammar. Go crazy with prepositions and dangling participles. Then once you realize what you actually wanted to say you can fix, delete and edit as needed. Get the thoughts out first.

I always work from the very last thing I want to say and then go backwards. So for your ten page essay, your on the tenth page, summarizing your idea. Take each sentence you just summarized and form those into a paragraph before that.

should get you started.

<3
    Hmm. I have to wrap up two assignments, possibly 3, today. I've stopped caring so much (a pass is ok) because I have already started putting my foot in the door when it comes to work experience. In other words...I can't do my best at uni

I did a creative writing subject. If you're running out of time/juice do what I did - I copied and pasted stuff from my diary, edited it to the appropriate word length/style/etc and made it all pretty in InDesign. Got a 6 for the subject (in which the highest mark you can get is a 7).

Or maybe divide that paper into chunks. Each page can represent a personal phase, artistic development stages that you went through, etc.

Edit: Also maybe approach this with the intention of publishing sections of the paper online or in print as part of your artist bio that you hand out during shows, screenings, buyers, etc.
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 04-29-2008 at 08:05 PM.

I have broken it down to be 3 completely different stages of my photo career and it will flow like 3 chapters in a book.

Give them a photobook.

Still kisses with saliva save_larry's Avatar
    an empowered & informed member of society
    My advice is to narrow your topic down as much as possible rather than expanding on it. If you're going to talk about 3 stages of your photography career, pick one single theme that ties those 3 stages together and talk about that. Once you have a solid theme, it's a lot easier to find something to write about. Like "Photography lets me be honest without telling the truth." Then show what that means by giving examples from your career.
    a pig
    in a cage
    on antibiotics