A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] help opening an external file from a .swf file

[F8] help opening an external file from a .swf file

Hi there. before i begin asking help i;d like to clarify that i am very inept at flash. i'm just editing a template to use for my online portfolio for my architecture degree. So if you do help me can you please explain everything in a very very simple manner giving exact code i need to use ect. a step by step guide on how to do this would be be brilliant.

right ok.... I downloaded a flash portfolio online and am editing it as explained. i would like to create a button that opens up a file in the default application it used to open it. specifically i would like to open a .ppt file with either power point viewer or power point.

so far i have managed to get it downloadable through my internet browser once. but tried again and couldn't remember what i did. but as i said i would like to open it in power point.

any help would be appreciated greatly.

i am kinda working on a very tight deadline as i have to submit this is 3 days. so quick responses would be great.

Im running vista premium 32 bit if thats any help with flash 8
    thanks in advance

Andrew

Has Returned
    make a button then add

on (release) {
    getURL("powerpoint.pptx");
    }

The user will be required to click open from a dialogue, but this is the only way i can think of.

that opens up firefox for me then takes ages to bring up the open dialog box. i've tried changeing my default browser to iexplorer but for some reason is still opens in firefox.

is there a way around this cuase i'll settle for this way if its the only way possible but i'd much rater if it just opened straight away.

ps thanks very much for the reply

Has Returned
    Why are you trying to do this exactly, where is it being used?
    I'm not sure if flash is the best application to handle opening files on your computer, i think there are security features built in to actually prevent this from happening.

It is a portfolio submission for my work for a term. you access it and can view pictures. then you click on certain links they open up a PowerPoint at various stages of development. I just wanted to do things a bit differently and a bit more flashy. (excuse the pun lol) I've read stuff about fscommand if that has anything to do with what i am trying but I'm not sure.
    It is a cd submission so all files will be kept in the same place.
    If all else fails i might just give instructions on the location of the file on a disk.
    Sorry for being a pest i just really want this to work. this is the only terms work im actually anyway confident about as the other stuff has been hand drawn and im a self confessed nerd and do everything on the computer.

thanks for the help so far. really appreciate it

Has Returned
    I'm guessing it would be too much work to replicated the powerpoint slides into a flash movieclip?

using FScommand to run a Javascript function might work.
    http://javascript.internet.com/forms/file-open.html

Never really used it though so i cant help much, sorry.

just a tad to much work yeah. got other projects too. but thanks for the link checking it out now.

that looks like its for html or something. dont think i could use it. but thanks for the help anyway

Has Returned
    Thought you could rip the JS function out of it.
    If you get really stuckered lemme know and i will look into FS command

yup cant figure it out. sorry for being such a noob

GOT IT WORKING!!!!!

using fscommand i opened a program called flashgeek which then in turn opens any program i like in its default program opener thing. then you have to convert the swf to a projector exe file which then works spiffingly!!!!!!!!

if anyone needs the files or a step by step walkthrough just ask me on this thread and ill punch it out. sooo happy!!!!