A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Global countdown timer

Global countdown timer

I am having the hardest time writing a script for a website I'm developing with a friend. This is basically what I want to do:

1. Create a countdown timer that resets every 24 hours.
    2. It counts down to a specific time, regardless of global location.

Here's an example:
    I would like the timer to count down (using hours, minutes, and seconds) to 5:00 pm EST. So if someone in New York logs on at 4:30 pm EST, the timer would be at 30 minutes. Now, if someone in California (Pacific time) were to log on at the same exact time (1:30 PST), it would read 30 minutes for them as well. The point is, everyone in the world should be able to log on and see the same countdown.

3. When it reaches 0, I want the timer to repeatedly flash "BOMB!" for 1 minute. When it reaches the end of that minute, I would like it to restart and begin counting down to the very same time the next day, so it would begin counting at 23:59:00.

I hope that makes sense. It's driving me CRAZY that I can't figure this out, and I can't find a tutorial here that helps. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Stewart

well flash have 2 date functions: getTime () and getTimezoneOffset (), it's enough to make that U need as I see. getTime counts milliseconds since midnight January 1, 1970 (universal time); getTimezoneOffset - difference, in minutes between computer's local time and universal time.