A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Magnifying GLass effect - (New to flash, need help)

[CS3] Magnifying GLass effect - (New to flash, need help)

I am new to flash, so to practice i am trying to use it for everything I can think of. I have a car to sell so i decided to make a flash sale page. I thought of an idea to make an inspection page with small images circling around the center. When clicked, the small images would expand and move to the center where they could be examined by a flash magnifying glass effect. I found a free magnifying glass file that i would like to use, but i am having trouble implementing it into my flash test page. The magnifying glass works if the movie plays continuously, but when i put stops in it only magnifies the first frame. What i have included is the original magnifying glass file and my test page. I would appreciate anybody that could take a look at it and tell me a different way or what i need to make it work. I am using Flash CS3 with Action script 2.0. Remember i am new to all of this and everything i know is self taught. Thanks a lot for your help! - Tom

too big to upload to the forum so you can download it from

www.kingscoveresort.com/Backup/test.zip (1.46mb)

The test.fla file is my test page. It's just the basic concept of what I'm trying to do. There will be more pictures and the layout will be much better when finished. I wanted to see if it would work before I wasted time designing the page around something that didn't work. Magnifier Lens Variable.fla is the original magnifying glass effect that I downloaded. Credit for it and where to find it is in the readme.txt file. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Flash/PHP developer
    Hello,

To start with, I'd recommend you use external .as classes, linked to the library MCs. When you drop one on stage, it'll become an object of that class. Since MCs have their own timeline, it'll work continuosly no matter if you put that in one frame or to multiple frames.

I recommend you use MCs playing all in one frame. That'll free you from a lot of work handling MCs all over the timeline.

As for the problem you've got, please describe it in more detail. Show an example that's not working.

Regards,
    Ilya.

Flash/PHP developer
    Weird thing, my previous message wasn't published.

That works fine for me with stop()'s.

Use external .as classes linked from the library. That saves a lot of time.

Sorry for the delay in reply - I've been busy lately and haven't had time to work on this. I may be trying to tackle something here that is beyond my skill level. I think my biggest mistake is trying to use the magnifying glass that somebody else made and that I don't know how it works. But anyway to let you know what i am talking about i have published the page with a stop on the first frame and without so you can see what I'm talking about. Without the stop it magnifies all frames as they are moving and with the stop it only magnifies the first frame. As far as using external .as classes, I will do some research on those and try to figure out what your telling me to do. Thanks a lot for the help!

http://www.kingscoveresort.com/backup/withstop.html

http://www.kingscoveresort.com/backup/nostop.html

Flash/PHP developer
    I guess the simpliest solution to your problem would be creating a MovieClip with all your timelines and scripts. Then paste it into the root timeline and when you stop the root, the MC won't stop.

Let me know if I misunderstood your needs.