A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sound system for my tv

Sound system for my tv

I need a sound system for my TV (guess you figured that from the title of the post). But I'm in a bit of a conundrum - I'm going to want to play music through whatever sound system I get as well as play my TV audio through.

So..

Do I go for a decent quality surround sound system and have 5 or so speakers in my living room.

Or..

Do I buy a decent pair of speakers and a decent amp and wire my tv through that and not bother about having surround sound - just make do with stereo.

I want to listen to music on a good quality system - I'm not sure how good the quality of a surround system is when it comes to listening to music.

Either way - ideas, reccommendtions etc...

What have you guys done?

Matters on your budget, the size of your room and your "ears". Yep... your ears play a lot in the choice of your stereo equipment.

In the larger room, I have some KEF front speakers, a Velodyne subwoofer, and some Paradigm surrounds. I use separates instead of an all-in-one. It's all connected with proper shielded - none of that overpriced Monster cable crap though. Don't skimp on your wires, don't pay too much.

In the secondary room, it's a Niro1 400 stereo and my Slim Devices Squeezebox. That's all...

I'd almost risk to say avoid surround sound if it's only music you're worried about. Most music that's only stereo that's faked into surround sounds horrid. Sure, the newer amplifiers and what not are better at separating and controlling the separate channels.

But I'm not a fan. Surround sound is for movies imho. Or DVD-Audio of damn good concerts... but just pay the money and go to the damn concert instead of sitting at home.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

That's kind of what I wanted hear. I'm edging towards the seperates and decent pair of speakers set up as, after all, the tv is going to sound good through those anyway isn't it.

The room is medium sized but we dont want loads of speakers so again, I suppose keeping it to the 2 speakers would be best.

The only thing is - watching a film with surround sound is good but I suppose I'm happy not to have that if I get a decent music system set up and less speakers/wires in the room.

Plus - seperates look cooler than a 5.1 surround system.. and that's important..

Honestly? I don't even know if my speakers work in my television. I've never enabled them. Nor will I.

Only "all-in-one" - other than the Niro1 that is - that I'd purchase would be the Yamaha DSP series... paired with a sub, and if I were tight on space, that would be my choice.

Two speakers and a damn good sub go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    In the larger room, I have some KEF front speakers, a Velodyne subwoofer, and some Paradigm surrounds. I use separates instead of an all-in-one. It's all connected with proper shielded - none of that overpriced Monster cable crap though. Don't skimp on your wires, don't pay too much.
    If you will be listening to a lot of music in the same room, then I 100% agree.

I also have KEFs in the front left/right/center, a low end yamaha subwoofer and some monitor audio rear surrounds all paired with a Marantz A/V receiver/amp. I would not look to one of those home theater in a box setups. Get something that you can grow with.

Start with nice fronts, and a good amp and grow from there. If you're worried about wires and cabling and don't want to drill and whatnot, this is a nice solution...
    http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer.../easy_home.asp
    Last edited by hanratty21; 05-10-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

the larger room is mainly for movies and music. the secondary room... double check av edits and video games... some music only when I'm in the same room.

My living room pumps but I need new everything. I had some friends over for 4-player split screen mario kart and it was damn near embarrassing. I'm waiting until I get moved then it's time to pick y'all's brains.
    Saw a local guy getting rid of a 60-something inch plasma for $1500 on craigslist yesterday. It was very tempting.

Rather than buying a used plasma/lcd, I'd look to a more reliable outlet than craigslist as you;ll have no idea what kind of use/abuse the TV was put thru. I'd look for sales on models from previous years from a reputable retailer, instead. Any warranty is better than none at all.

Yeah I just threw that out there as a crazy deal I saw.
    I'll definitely be needing your help though when I'm serious. Chances are I'll have some sick hookups so I'll be running the info by you guys.

As is stands, what pwns what as far as DLP, HD, Plasma?
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 05-11-2008 at 10:07 PM.

DLP's limited viewing angle bothered me. And I love the technology. Plasma... unless you're getting a Pioneer Kuro... not really worth it to me any longer. LCD's... they've caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    DLP's limited viewing angle bothered me. And I love the technology. Plasma... unless you're getting a Pioneer Kuro... not really worth it to me any longer. LCD's... they've caught up.
    Agreed...OLED is probably the best tech out there, but it needs about 5 years for the price point to be realistic. Stick with a top name LCD and you'll be fine.

Awesome. From what little I've read I understand that all of them need service in about 3 years. Plasma is just too costly on both ends.

Not sure where you got that from...The numbers I've seen lately is that the newest high end LCD panels will get you about 60,000 hours of use at optimal performance before the brightness begins to dim. At 10 hours of viewing a day (at which point, you SHOULD get a life ) that would work out to about 16.5 years of dim-free performance.

Wow I didn't know it had improved that much. Makes flipping the bill a lot easier.

imagination through stupidity
    I have a Mitsubishi 59" Diamond 3 Chip DLP. I love it, nearly unlimited viewing angle.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Didn't Sony (and someone else - cant remember who) just ditch their DLP business to focus on LCD, Plasma and OLED?

*EDIT* yes...they did
    Last edited by hanratty21; 05-13-2008 at 11:08 AM.