A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] drop down menu help

[CS3] drop down menu help

i created this drop down menu on flash, and in order for me to actually see the drop down menu i had to change the length of the page to make it longer. before i had the drop down menu on my website the text and the buttons menu were very close together, now when i put it on dreamweaver the swf is longer and takes more space, so there is a big blank space for the drop down part. i want to know how i can make it so i wont need to make the background length of the menu longer so the drop down part will go over or overlap whatever text or content is on the page.
    Last edited by xadmz; 05-13-2008 at 02:44 PM.

I think I know what you mean... Here goes...

Try going to the properties panel > Size > type in what you want for width and height...

Let me know if this is even remotely close to what you wanted...
    --SumWunGye

that has nothing to do with what i needed help with

Let me take a stab at guessing what he means

Let's say your original swf without the drop down menu was 200 pixels tall. Then you add the drop down & find that you need to expand your swf height up to 400 to accommodate it. So now you've got this 400 pixel tall swf where 200 pixels are only utilized when the drop down is expanded. So you're asking how to basically "layer" your swf over your HTML so that you can see the HTML content that would be hiding under that bottom 200 pixels?
    If that's the case (or similar to it) then the first step would be setting your swf to transparent. The next step would be to start studying Javascript because that's probably what you'll need to know to accomplish what you're seeking.
    1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino is a portal of Hell.

ive figured out what i need help with. its absolute positioning in dreamweaver.
    i need to know how to absolute position images and text in dreamweaver

hmm... as a web designer/developer those 2 words can be the devil : "Absolute Positioning" can be the devil if used improperly (make sure to have your absolutely positioned div inside a relatively positioned one, for starters, & thank you IE for all your "uniqueness"), & Dreamweaver actually is the devil.
    You're going to need CSS, as "Absolute Positioning" is a CSS thing. If all you're having on your page is a Flash file then you may not run into many problems.
    Research some CSS.

ive figured out how to do the absolute positioning but how do i make it so the text or image will appear infront of the swf but still behind the dropdown part of the menu

If the dropDown part of the menu is part of the swf, then the answer is "you can't". The swf is one element & all things therein are part of that element & on the same "level" as that element.