A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Mac Safari wierdness

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar

[F8] Mac Safari wierdness

I've got a file using AS2 to load images via xml that works fine in IE, Firefox and Safari on a PC. It works fine on IE and Firefox on a Mac, but, when my client tests it using Safari 3.1.1 on a Mac, he says all the images momentarily flicker in, but disappear when they all load...I can't duplicate it, so I can't test it and I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

I tried removing type="application/x-shockwave-flash" from the html and played around with the wmode, but neither seemed to change anything when he was viewing it...

You can see the swf at:
    http://brianwpiper.com/fk/fk.htm

Any ideas?? Would LOVE some help from the Mac community on this...

Thanks!!

edit: Oh, and I'm using swf object to display the swf...I tried using the standard embed/object as well, but that didn't work either...
    Last edited by flashpipe1; 05-15-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

yes. And i tested on Firefox and had the same problem. It happens when the window looses focus, ie: if i click outside of the browser.. flickers then gets black. until i mouse over again on the swf.

I tested your swf with a straightforward swfobject embed and got the same bug on both Safari and firefox. This could mean the problem is in the AS. From debug it looks like your loading all 14 or so pictures 3 times. Is that so?

gparis

Yes, to get the continuous scrolling effect I've got 3 movie clips, I'm using duplicate movie and load movie to create the multiple image instances and using loadMovie and then positioning the 3 clips relative to each other using onEnterFrame and scrolling based on the distance of the mouse from the center...
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Yes, i thought so.. the "flicker" could mean a loop between 2 keyframes. And black.. i guess a first empty keyframe. I agree that's weird behavior. Opera on Mac gives the same bug...

gparis

The client was saying the images completely disappear and don't come back...is that what happens for you, or do they just flicker?

Not sure what to do or where to start trying to fix this...never run into this before...

Very strange...

Is there another way I could load the images and get the continuous scrolling? I suppose I could load them all into one clip three times and then figure the scrolling based on the width/3...

Not sure that would fix the problem either...I suppose I could do a test to see...I'll have to hit it again in the morning...

Thanks to anyone for any insight!!

You could try and load them once then copy the pixels. As in senocular's example file.

As i was saying, for me at least, flickering happens when swf looses focus, but stops when focus is back. Could you post a sample .fla? or explain the timeline structure: are there multiple keyframes or just one?

gparis

pm sent...thank you, thank you....

I changed the x_speed to use a fixed number rather than using the distance from the mouse to the movie width/2 and that seemed to fix it on my clients browser, so I think it's all set...not sure why it works now, but I'll take it...

Does it work for your browser now?

http://brianwpiper.com/fk/fk.htm

THANKS!!!

Yes!! bug is gone.

gparis