A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ o ]: Photo Battle :: WannaBe_80z Vs. Kevin_Smithers

[ o ]: Photo Battle :: WannaBe_80z Vs. Kevin_Smithers

I still have my PS battles in mind but am going to take all my past photo battles as dead and want to start a new one. With summer I am hoping some people will be out there shooting more and give me a run of my money.

So who wants to bring it? Like usual this will be a theme based battle with advanced editing.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Out of Focus

I liked some of the photographs on your site.

However, I'm intrigued by your challenge - please explain how it works.
    I enjoy taking pictures myself - as a hobby.

Rgds.
    Last edited by glen1951; 03-18-2009 at 04:32 AM.

for more info look at the couple of photo battles I have been in, in my footer. What happens is that we decide on a subject battle, style, theme, etc. Then each submit a photo according to that with our final image and the original for comparison. Also usually add a list of what editing happen- levels, curves, etc.

Any more questions ask away...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

This may be just what I am looking for, I am looking to advance my PS skills in photo editing and think this may just be the thing to help me out.

What is the subject matter you had in mind?

Whatever we decide on. Theme or subject etc. What do you have in mind?

OK here are a few of my ideas;

Old & New in a series of two images
    The Abstract Garden
    Fire
    Unusual lighting! instead of a subjects for the images a subject for the way a object is light instead.
    A different point of view! interpret this in your own way

We can do all of those over time. How about this round we do- unusual lighting? As I typed that I already got a few ideas

Sounds good to me, Unusual Lighting it is then.

What shall the deadline be? Up to you.

3 days?

Deal. So Wednesday night it is.

About to go downstairs to work on my idea. Hopefully have something usable before the nights over.

Spent the last two nights trying to do mine but failed miserably (Bloody Wind!!!!) anyway had to fall on a backup plan and have now got mine done.

Man on Fire

Original (Sized Down)

After editing - Levels / Conour Balance, Midtones & Highlights / Filter, Extrude

I did go out and get 300 night lights, I started putting them out the first night but it started raining and tonight it was a little windy and I gave up after having to re-light them about 4 times, the original idea was to have two mirrors at a 45 degree angle with that wooden figure in front and all the night light around it.
    Last edited by kevin_smithers; 05-28-2008 at 09:01 PM.

I actually really like that filtered version for some reason. I ususally really dislike filter- awesome job!

Transferring mine. Not what I expected but I hope I at least got one.

So just my luck. My photoshop keep giving me some error. WTF.

I am heading out of town until Sunday night . I promise to post when I get back.

Just to let you know I DID take the photos. Even though they came out crap I was going to post. I took some photos of drop shots that were made out of highlighter liquid in water with a blacklight...

*edit*
    BAAAH! After screwing around with everything and doing a restart it all came back!

Here is my outtake. I give you this round since I sucked so bad. What shall this next round be? I can post when I get back Sunday night.

Need to get a brighter black light or something so I can get faster shutter speeds. I think that one was 1/30th at ISO800.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 05-28-2008 at 11:21 PM.

that's pretty awesome actually, wannabe. good idea with the highlighter ink. i like it a lot.

kevin, i like the concept, but am not a fan of the heavy filter usage. just personal preference i guess. i'm actually quite liking the original though!

I don't usually use filters myself but I ran out of ideas when adjusting that image I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the original concept, shame I couldn't pull that one off (Will try again though)

I was trying to do one of these drop shots a few weeks ago and I failed big time, I got the lighting right but not the timing.

Just found a cheap way of doing macro shots!!!! take your lens off and turn it around! (I'll post some of them in the photography forum later)

Right then next subject, how about A different point of view? deadline upto you if you are busy till Sunday make it Wednesday if you like? I am in no rush.

I am not sure if every lens works but my 50 prime works perfect for turning it around. It was like it was almost made to do it.

Well I am sure I will be shooting all weekend so a different point it is. I can post by Sunday night. BRING IT!

I will get that glow drop someday! Need more light!

This isn't a very unusual point of view but I barely too out my camera all weekend. This is something I snapped on the way home today.

Final. I did so much editing to this I forgot everything I did. PS Raw conversion and then a few lay adjustments playing with levels, curves, color specific curves, tone mapping, sharpening, etc. Just ask if you want to know more.

Original - default PS Raw settings.

I like that, great image.

I failed on this one was trying to get a image all weekend but just couldn't pull it off. Was trying to get a reflection of the garden in a water droplet but just couldn't get the right shape droplet to reflect a image properly.