A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Free Multiplayer API and $15,000 game competition

Manic

Free Multiplayer API and $15,000 game competition

Hi guys, this I am sure is something for you

Basically our company, Nonoba.com, just announced that we will be releasing an easy to use, fully hosted and free Multiplayer API for flash developers. This should allow pretty much anybody with rudimentary flash skills to create and host multiplayer games.

The idea for this came about as we have been working making realtime multiplayer flash games on our own technology for ages, and quite a lot of developers and companies have approached us to gain access or license the technology. This made us believe that there is a huge demand for something like this so we decided to wrap it up into an easy to use API and release it as a free service.

With that said, we realized that this is just one of the things that flash developers want do do, but find hard to do. Hence this is just the first large scale API, trying to solve a common flash developer problem, that we will be releasing.

To show what can be built on top of this technology we have released a new game called Nonoba Racer and ported some of our old creations to act as examples in the SDK the developers will have to download. This includes Fridge Magnets, Multiplayer Asteroids and DrawPad.

Related to this we also just announced our first competitions for game developers with $20.000 USD in prices and a first price of $15.000 USD.

If you want to get you hands on a copy of the API before everybody else there is a beta signup site here:

Much more about the api here: http://nonoba.com/developers/multiplayerapi/overview

Regards
    Chris Benjaminsen

So the contest opens June 15, and the winner is declared November 1. What is the deadline to complete your submission? I assume a little time is needed for judging so it must be before November 1.

Good luck with this contest. I'm sure you'll get great entries with such an attractive first price. I appreciate your effort to provide great API to developers.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Sounds like a great contest.

what kind of results do you get with high-speed shooter type games on multiplayer?

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Sounds very interesting, like rachil0 said, if someone submits the day before the announcement are they still included?

"the three best games created using the Nonoba Multiplayer API before November 1, 2008"

"The winners will be announced on November 1, 2008"

Good luck with the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by lesli_felix
    what kind of results do you get with high-speed shooter type games on multiplayer?
    I suggest you take a look at the multiplayer asteroids game, it is both shooter and high speed.

Anyway, this sounds awesome. I need to get flash 9...

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Can the game have the option of playing single player too ? against ai?

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    I dont see why it wouldnt... I really liked this idea. I've always wanted to make a multiplayer game. Nice to see Nonoba take off.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_404
    I suggest you take a look at the multiplayer asteroids game, it is both shooter and high speed.
    Yes it is, but it doesn't play very well.

I've noticed that when my bullets hit one of the other ships, nothing happens, they don't die. Three times so far getting clear shots, I suspect that the 100-200 ms lag is enough to stop the hittesting from working.

I don't think this would work for the type of game I had in mind.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    any plans on adding as2? or am i just stuck in the past...
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

This sounds great! I've wanted to make a multiplayer game long ago. Hope to see some great games with this.
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

samvillianan@plans on adding as2? or am i just stuck in the past...

yup stuck in the past.

Considering that about 95% of flash content on the web so far is AS2, I think it would be a wise move to put that in.

Also, if you're going to do something like bullets, you should probably have all of those calculations done on the users computer, and verified upon event.
    America!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Capwn
    ...if you're going to do something like bullets, you should probably have all of those calculations done on the users computer, and verified upon event.
    Which user?

The problem is there are more than one.