A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to make AI RUN away

resolved how to make AI RUN away

i need help to make th AI run away from character!!
    help

What viewpoint? Are there obstacles, walls, places that it should specifically be running to? Is it trying to avoid a projectile attack or a close-range attack? Finally, are you trying to make it actually competent at avoiding whatever it's running away from (strafing around bullets, etc), or are you trying to make it look like a natural "panicked crowd" effect? All of this is relevant.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Student
    by letting them move in the opposite direction of the player towards the AI bots
    simple question simple answer

can you give me only a top view AI please only

Quote Originally Posted by askentoyou
    can you give me only a top view AI please only
    here
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Student
    obviously realMakc thinks you still are way to vague,- so do I. What you provided so far is nothing to work with

just post a example of what you have so far, because even top view it could be anything.

a general approach could be:

PHP Code:
    function moveBot(nr){

dir_x player.bot[nr].x;

dir_y player.bot[nr].y;

dir_x/= Math.absdir_x);

dir_y/= Math.abs(dir_y );

bot[nr].x+= dir_x * -speed;

bot[nr].y+= dir_y * -speed;

the first part catches the distance booth x and y based towards the player of that particular bot.
    The 2nd part divides it´s distance by its own positive value so that in the end you just get a 1 or -1. For example
    -4,36 / abs(-4,36)
    results in
    -4,36 / (4,36)
    results in

the 3rd part moves that bot in a negative direction (-speed) so it moves away from the player

renderhjs I just dont like people who glue together random codes copied from forums, who then come back asking why it did not work.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

If you don't want people to post code, how do you want us to help you?
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

Are you talking about something like this? This is an old game demo I made - the AI will check if the player is attacking and if he/she is, will dodge by either jumping away (if far from the wall) or jumping up and kicking off the wall (if close to the wall).

http://users.wpi.edu/~pgibler/Game/Game.html

need help to make th AI run away from character!!
    Make sure you render a really big motherF%#*&# weapon, give it a really bada$$ name, and give it to your character. Works every time. You don't need any code. AI runs in the opposite direction on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD
    Make sure you render a really big motherF%#*&# weapon, give it a really bada$$ name, and give it to your character. Works every time. You don't need any code. AI runs in the opposite direction on its own.
    Another approach would be to simply rename your character to "Chuck Norris".
    This will also make the enemies run away on their own.

I usually have timers assosiated with behaviour.

For example it takes a certain amount to scare them so say a bullet in the other direction increases their scaredMeter only slightly but a bullet towards is a lot and maybe 2 towards makes them run and one hit makes them run away. They choose a random location X Y to run to untill the meter lowers again and they go back towards the player (assuming you wish them to try and attack you) to pick a place to run to have a var safeDist = 200 (or whatever) and have it choose safePlace = (safeDist+random(safeDist/2));

if(scared){//direct enemy to safe place}

just use the code to fire bullets in the direction the player is facing to find the safe spot.
    //over and out

Absolutely, how could I have forgotten that one. That is the most fool proof way.

Quote:

Absolutely, how could I have forgotten that one. That is the most fool proof way.
    Unless your AI characters are sexy babes, in which case it may catastrophically backfire.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    Did u know chuck norris' tears cure cancer? Too bad he never cries.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Quote Originally Posted by Giblaz
    Are you talking about something like this? This is an old game demo I made - the AI will check if the player is attacking and if he/she is, will dodge by either jumping away (if far from the wall) or jumping up and kicking off the wall (if close to the wall).

http://users.wpi.edu/~pgibler/Game/Game.html

yess!!! thats perfect