A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: the mecca of golf in the US...

the mecca of golf in the US...

So, my girlfriend surprised me with a birthday present of a weekend in Carmel, CA this weekend, which included a round of golf at The Links at Spanish Bay - one of the three 'big' Pebble Beach courses. For the uninitiated, these are frequently regarded as THE places to play on the planet. Amazing conditions, views and play. I've now played Spanish Bay, Spyglass and plan on hitting Pebble Beach in the next 12 months. My golf triumverate will then be complete.

"Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Nice. I went to a wedding there not too long ago and did the tour, took a picture of the lone cyprus, etc. Definitely a beautiful place.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

i scored a 6 under on the local putt putt course.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

nice dude...that's quite awesome being able to play such a prestigious course.

Now that i work in the golf industry, i have a new found respect for the sport (and the $ involved)...it's such a huge market it's unreal. I just wish i had time to be a consumer rather than the opposite.

My computer became the 'hub' for the playoffs today, as i'm the only person with a 'decent' PC to stream video on. So i had about a dozen really good golfers discussing every aspect of every shot of the entire round. Pretty interesting, but a bit monotonous.

I normally don't outwardly say this... and actually mean this.

I'm quite jealous. Enjoy your time dude. My envy will be there with you.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Actually, already did, Gerbs -- it was this past weekend. I have to say, even if not a golf fan, Carmel/Monterey Peninsula is definitely among the most beautiful places on the planet. I highly recommend a visit if you get the chance.

Oh, and the golf is F***ING KICK A$$ too!

@lefteye - that playoff was fabulous. You may not play, but to understand the difficulty of US Open...after 4 rounds, there were only 2 people under par (at -1.) Think about the early season tournaments, like the Disney Open, etc. where the scores are frequently -20, -30 and even more after 4 rounds. The US Open is the greatest tourney on the planet, bar none. Today's finale left nothing on the table. A day after playing at the course I played, to come home and watch that...I'll not soon forget either one.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 06-16-2008 at 11:07 PM.

correction: My envy was there with you.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Pebble was the best place for golf 5 years ago. Now it's Oregon. Bandon Dunes is the new Pebble. Half the price, half the crowds, and nearly half the holes are on the ocean. Oh and they have 3 courses now. All public. It's legendary and the word is getting out quick. Shhh! don't tell anyone!

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/

Pebble. 424$ for a 6 hour round? No thanks guys. I'll take epic links golf over that madness anyday. I'll make a full trip report of my golf trip to Ireland in 2 months....

a) I said US.
    b) Pebble Beach is Pebble Beach. Just as their is no 'new' St Andrews, there is no 'new' Pebble Beach.
    c) Epic links golf? Hmm...did you LOOK at the course I posted?
    d) Enjoy Ireland.

Rats, yes i do play...not good at all, but i do and i have to agree that the US Open is probably the best. the one with the most skill...not one's who can scramble like a champ...always wins.

I believe it's been at least 8 years that the winner of the US open has been UNDER par after 4 days. I couldn't IMAGINE what my score would be if I played there for one day...probably a 200.