A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloader!!!!!

Angry Preloader!!!!!

Ok, I really need to know how to make a preloader! I've tried to get it but It doesn't make sense! I can't use the external loader, because I need the flash to be all in one file! I'm Have to upload this game to newgrounds, and I don't think you can upload external elements. I tried making a child movie and using it as the preloader, but it didn't work...

I need something... people aren't going to wait for big files to load, If they cant tell how long it will take... its annoying... please, if anyone knows another way to have a preloader included in the main movie... TELL ME!

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar
    Hi,

Have you experimented at all with the 'SWF Loader' in the 'Simple' section of the samples included in version 4.9.8.7?

I simply opened this example, changed the path to the main SWF file I wanted to load, and exported it, and this seemed to give me a working preloader. You'll need to change the size of the preloader to match the size of your main movie.

Hope this helps,

Morgan.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

No No No No No No No No No No

Quote Originally Posted by ForumNewbie
    Hi,

Have you experimented at all with the 'SWF Loader' in the 'Simple' section of the samples included in version 4.9.8.7?

I simply opened this example, changed the path to the main SWF file I wanted to load, and exported it, and this seemed to give me a working preloader. You'll need to change the size of the preloader to match the size of your main movie.

Hope this helps,

Morgan.
    Sorry if I'm being rude, but NO NO NO NO NO! I said with out using that! I need an all in one file. Kusco needs to read this, and try to put it in the next release if there is no way to do that now!

Good luck !

Have you e-mailed support, and if so, what response have you had?

ok kusco just wanted to ask... WHY THE HELL don't you wanna put back the preloader button

WTF....? there are lots of ppl complaining about the preloader problem... why are you so ignorant

that button was usefull... just get it back in the next release
    Don't blame me cuz' my English sucks ) i'm from romania XD

www.xelubest.ro

I would watch you language if you want a response.
    PW Ihms

xelubest: I think if it would be that easy then it would be there... AS3 seems to handle that kind of thing differently..

Xelubest,

In addition to the comments above, it's my understanding that Kusco helps out this forum as a favour, and it's not his responsibility to fix the software.

This may have changed since I was a more regular visitor around here, but in any case, there's no call for the tone of the post above. If anyone posted question/comments for me in that tone, I can guarantee it would be the last help I would give them.

If it's a real problem, use an older version of 3DFA that can handle a preloader until this issue is fixed.

Incidentally, my understanding is that the support e-mail address is the one that this issue should be addressed to. I notice there was no reply to my question about whether you had contacted support. Has it been reported through this channel?

Morgan

yeah sorry for my "tone"

i'm just nervous cause all the 3DFA thing it's bad organized....

i sended some emails with some problems to 3dfa and they didn't reply corectly... i mean they didn't reply-ed to all of my questions
    Don't blame me cuz' my English sucks ) i'm from romania XD

www.xelubest.ro

ok im trying to use an external preloader swf in v 4987. i loaded a swf loader to my site.
    added the preloader element to my movie. i put my preloader address in the element file like im suppose to, exported that but the preloader doesnt work.
    - nothing. the movie loads ok but no preloader.
    i also tried just adding it into my movie with just the "show progress bar" checked.
    nothing shows up. what am i doing wrong?
    i cant uncheck the "lock root" thing. is this what the problem is?
    help!!!!

can you attach a simple .movie to seen where's the problem?!
    []'s
    leocavalcante.com

k i got it to show up. i figured out what i was doing wrong.
    but-
    now i cant get the preloader to stop when my movie starts playing.
    so i have the preloader still playing on top of my movie. :/
    ugh!
    any suggestions?

can someone tell me what im doing wrong please?
    im using v 4987.
    i have a movie, movie "A", made in flash 8.
    i add the loader element to my movie "A" and check "show progress bar".
    i put the address to my loader swf in the "absolute or relative url" window.
    the root lock thing i leave it as is, cuz it wont let me use the other setting.

i then make a movie loader which is just type saying "loading".
    i upload that swf.

i upload my "A" movie.
    when i open my "A" movie online, my preloader doesnt appear until after my "A" movie appears.
    and then it stays there.
    no progress bar appears at all.

is there something in that supplied script i have to change?
    what am i doing wrong?

I've download a .swf file preloader on some website, I wonder if this is possible to integrate with 3dfa?