A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google maps: invasion of privacy

Google maps: invasion of privacy

Today I found a nice picture of our house in Google maps. I don't want others to see our house. I consider it invasion of privacy. Let's stand up and fight against it.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

or not.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I already started by requesting to take off the image from our house, because I consider it a breach of security. Burglars can easily find out the neighborhood, the escape ways etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform
    I already started by requesting to take off the image from our house, because I consider it a breach of security. Burglars can easily find out the neighborhood, the escape ways etc.

well there lies the problem, who owns the area above your house? who owns the sky. Your home is visibily public and as such i can take pictures of it as long as i want and there isnt a god damned thing you can do about it.

Have a problem with google maps pictures? build a box around your house.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I wonder though if someone can profit from pictures of your property? Google is earning profit with this service, albeit indirectly.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

At least they can do the same with mostly every other house in every other neighbourhood, so it's not like you're being singled out

I think Flashlackey made a good point. My opinion is that Google is going too far in what THEY think is their right. And as you all know they are not only taking pictures of houses but people too. This is the answer I got so far from them:

Thank you for your request. We’ll be in contact with you shortly only if your request pertains to removing one of the following from our search results:

- your credit card or bank account number
    - your social security or similar government ID number
    - an image of your signature
    - your full name or the name of your business appearing on an adult content site that's spamming Google's search results

If your removal request does not match any of these categories, please return to the webpage removal request tool at http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals and select the appropriate removal type for your request.

Regards,
    The Google Team

So Google is the law and Google defines what they can show and what not. Has it come that far?

Since they are only showing what is readily visible by anyone looking from above, I'd imagine your recourse is going to be limited, if at all. So, the entire country is included on Google Maps, but somehow, your house is the security violation to end all?

I really think you're overreacting and trying to find some sort of invasion of your privacy, when there really isn't one. It's not like they installed a camera in your toilet or something.

If you really don't like it...get a huge umbrella and hold it over your house.

I am not overreacting. Let's take the phone company. I pay for the service, they list my phone number, name and address, but they also leave the option not to show the address.

Now let's take Google. I did NOT ask them for any service, but they show my house when the address is put into the Google maps search. I have a right that they do not show my house if I ask them not to do.

If they just show my house, fine, but it is associated with an address, not fine. So next they show my name, phone and what kind of color hair girls I like and what my income is, if they are not stopped. May be they already report all those data to the government.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    If you really don't like it...get a huge umbrella and hold it over your house.
    Too late damage is done.

How did you find your house? Did you search by your first/last name, or did you input your own address?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

In todays world, I highly doubt this is the first complaint about this.

I am also pretty sure that Google did their legal homework to understand the law surrounding this tool. It may be that there is little law in place at all that affects aerial photography.

But, I'm pretty certain that it's illegal to walk up to a house and just start taking as many pictures as you want, through windows, etc. It doesn't bother me, personally that Google does this. But, I think there could be some merit to objecting to it, for privacy. Also, if the product consists of your property, shouldn't you be entitled to a share of the earnings?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    But, I'm pretty certain that it's illegal to walk up to a house and just start taking as many pictures as you want, through windows, etc.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Through windows is one thing, but the facade...if you can see it in plain sight from the street, fair game.

Too late damage is done.
    I dont think so...if you update the view, tell Google that you have 'new content' for them. I'm sure they'll be glad to take a new photo of your new umbrella/tall hedges, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Through windows is one thing, but the facade...if you can see it in plain sight from the street, fair game.
    You don't think that some dude climbing a street light or standing on his car to snap pictures of someone undressing in a house is illegal?

I put my address in Google maps. I can punsh on arrows and walk down the street. Burglars from next town can nicely look for their next target and make selections.

Usually an address is associated with an image of a house on real estate websites. However, then this happens with the permission of the owner. I did not give Google permission to do so nor is our house for sale.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 06-24-2008 at 07:15 AM.

If you type Google maps complain you come across this

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...71google1.html

They are now blurring people's images. I ask myself why the whole map crap is necessary.

The map of the view above was available for anyone to request before Google Maps came about providing they paid for the data transfer from the satellite. All google has done was stitch all the photo's together in to one kick ass piece of software.

I really don't see the complaint as burgulars would rather pick their targets by viewing address labels on outgoing luggage at airports than skim through google earth looking for a property with a killer getaway exit. There are places which have their view obscured though so maybe they'll black out your property if you give them the co-ords.

I thought it was fun finding our house- even though the photo is easily 12 years old or older. Google maps is ok with me. I like getting "free" directions.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

It's my privacy too. I don't have the right to not have my house exposed in the internet? Where are we?

Here is a third party description how to remove images from Google map. There have been enough complains and law suits. However, I had to search first and by chance found it.
    http://www.googletutor.com/2008/06/0...s-street-view/

I am becoming more and more convinced that Google in the wrong government is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    You don't think that some dude climbing a street light or standing on his car to snap pictures of someone undressing in a house is illegal?
    FL - Please re-read what I posted. I said nothing about the inside of the house. I talked about the facade and the facade only. It's a reasonable expectation. If you can see it from the street, it's fair game. Not if you can see it after climbing a pole, strapping on a telephoto with infrared scanning to find someone playing with themselves two rooms down the hall. Thanks for the misinterpretation...

@cancerinform - I'm interested in hearing your success with reporting your image. That link you posted has some nice legal jargon built into it...
    You’ll be asked to then explain the reason why you are complaining, the exact problem and you also have to zoom in exactly on the part of the picture that you find objectionable. Then submit your complaint.
    This may be their way out. If there's no people's faces, personal info or anything else that isn't readily available by standing on the corner in front of your house, or by a reasonable person driving down the public street in front of your house, you might be S.O.L.