A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] omghelp: flash CDROM, applescript to open Mac docs

[F8] omghelp: flash CDROM, applescript to open Mac docs

hello,

before i begin, i have spent HOURS on these forums and actionscript.org, read every thread, every post, and tried everything. Most noticeably, the majority of these posts are from years ago (zoomfreddy? are you still out there?) ... am i missing something?

Building a hybrid CDROM... i have all the PC side good to go with batch files, and have spent the day trying to figure out how to open .pdf, .doc and .zip files in an "fscommand" folder from a Flash Mac projector file.

At first, the hurdle was in the applescript... i could never even get the script to open the file outside of flash, BUT, after some modifications, this is what i am using in Applescript:

tell application "Finder"
    activate
    select file "somefile.pdf" in folder "fscommand" of disk "create"
    open selection
    end tell

this finally allows me to click the script (named "something_script" but not with .app, it wont save that way, even after i type it in). the script is saved as an application, not compiled.

however, i cannot get Flash Mac Projector file to initiate the script. Here is what i have on my button:

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "somefile_script");
    }

... and nothing happens. all my .pdf's and other files, along with the scripts are in an "fscommand" folder alongside the projector file, within the disc image file i created.

can anyone help, anyone point to current information? Do people still use this technology now into F8 and beyond? Do I need to get and learn Flash Paper? At this point, I would happily pay someones hourly rate to take my test files and debug the problem, the client dumped this on me last minute and needs it wednesday!!!!!!!!

thank you

http://www.morgadinho.org/2007/03/12...d-on-mac-os-x/

Did you try this? Applescript seems to be the key. Didn't test it though.

gparis

resolved

FIXED!

for anyone running into trouble, the above coding worked ONLY after i added ".app" to the actionscript, which now reads:

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "somefile_script.app");
    }

even though the accompanying applescript file does not spell out the suffix, this was the trick.