A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Duly noted, English Language!

Duly noted, English Language!

Reading Wannabe's thread about robots, I saw something in the quote that surprised me. It's really "for all intents and purposes." I've always heard it as, and thought it was, "for all intensive purposes."

I did a Google search and found this interesting site. Some pretty interesting ones.

You thought it was "for all intensive purposes."

I was actually just having a discussion on languages last night at dinner. It is sad that almost all Americans only speak english(or a form of it ) but a lot of other countries speak their native language AND at least english. It is sad how narrow minded we are. I would love to be fluent in multiple languages and not just speak I mean read an write as well. German and French have always interested me. If I somehow have children they will definitely be learning another language if not more.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

dude, make any phone call to any company now... Spanish options for damn near everybody now.

As it stands, speaking more than one language should be a prerequisite for all countries. Sadly enough, this will invariably spark a discussion about American English versus proper (read: Queen's English) English and how we've slaughtered the English language... yadda, yadda. Anytime a bunch of people refer to a diaper as a nappy, a laptop as a lappy and a bathroom as a loo; you can't judge anybody in my books.

Anyway, with that said... "all intents and purposes" still doesn't explain to me what the hell "as queer as a clockwork orange" means to me.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I've heard plenty of English people murder the English language, ya get me?

Oh, it's the same in America. I had a guy use three words incorrectly in one sentence, and it all got tied together with "irregardless"... and he's supposed to have been a CEO of a company that was soliciting work.

How in the hell does he make a dollar!?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Easy. **** floats to the top.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

You could have "For all in tents and purposes" but that doesn't make much sense.

interesting, i never really gave a thought about "all intensive purposes" meant when i said it...but now that you've brought it up, yeah, intents and purposes makes a hell of a lot more sense.

thanks for being an english language nazi, genesis

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    If I somehow have children
    - Not with robots certainly !!!
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.