A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody stole my game!

Somebody stole my game!

Hi there, somebody decomplied my game Ringmania, changed the title and the welcome screen, the size of the game, added mochiads, and won the game friday contest : http://mochiland.com/articles/flash-...nner-the-rings

You can play the original here, it was made 3 or 4 years ago : http://www.pepere.org/flash-developm...ania_u_25.html

It's exactly the same engine and same levels!

What a shame. I've written to mochiads to repair this. Waiting for the reply. I don't blame mochiads, they can't know all the games around the world but I'm really angry about the guy who did this. Really it's a shame to behae like this.

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    That sucks. Dont know what else to say.. his looks better :P . I bet it was some photoshop nerd that got his hands on a decompiler and a cracked version of flash and just reskinned. That sucks.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Please let us all know what mochi decide to do with the ad revenue generated by that game.

Knows where you live
    Wow, that must hurt. Not only did he steal it, he even won a contest with it.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

sorry to hear that mate, hope mochi-ads does something about it.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

sry to hear that... mochi should give you all the revenue generated by the game! Use code encryption next time! Sry again!!

That blows donkey :|

People really need to realise that the web isn't such a vast place where they can just blindly get away with stealing things and passing it off under their own name ( Just yesterday we found a hacked version of "Law of the West", with all our logos removed. Not replaced, just removed. Obviously the ad was ripped out completely ).

It would be really interesting to hear how mochi handle this. They could either be really good guys, or just corporate arses.

Good luck with sorting it out mate.

Squize.

doItLikeThis
    Unbelievable. I hope mochi ads does something about it...
    -Aditya

This brings up a very interesting topic for discussion, to me at least, is Mochi's fully open system encouraging intellectual property theft?

I really think that due to the fact that money changes hands, it would be in Mochi's interest to have some sort of proper user ID (liek Facebook asks for a passport / drivers license scan before allowing you to upload mp3s of your band).

ChrisError x

It may sound glib, but any sort of monetary gain encourages IP theft, from script kiddies dropping their own ads in front of a game, to the list of rapidshare links I saw yesterday with 1000's of Flash games in, just ready for those shovelware sites and their adsense ads.

But yeah, hopefully this will tighten a lot of things up in regards of mochi themselves ( Not that they're doing a bad job, but this was always going to happen, just a pity it's happened to Sietjp ).

Squize.

I know its been said a bunch of times in this thread already, but WOW. They didn't even bother to change the fonts :\

I just wonder how long its going to take before some drastic action is taken to avoid these issues. Its a joke
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

looks like he appreciates flashkit members...

here's another game he made: https://www.mochiads.com/community/g...h2k/bubbles_v4 (i thought to myself that looks familiar...)

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=730172
    mmm signature

No relpy so far from the mochiads team.
    Well done ChaseNYC, I've just PM DelvarWorld to warn him about this. ([edit] I've just realised that half of the board has already sent a PM to him )
    I start to think that mochiads should spend a few more time before validating a game.
    Looking on google, it seems that this guy is actually a freelance located in Canada. I think he's playing a very risky game...
    Last edited by Sietjp; 07-02-2008 at 09:17 AM.

That's really quite despicable. This is the flash game industry at it's lowest point. I think on some level mochiads has helped us trade off our love for game creation for a love of money. No offense meant to the people of mochiads or the people who use them of course, but I do find it disappointing that this industry is so industrial.

I don't know how that guy lives with himself, I'd much rather experience the joy of creation than a fat wad of cash.

Good luck on getting this whole ordeal sorted out, jp!

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    jp,

read mochi ads terms and conditions - there's no way they'll pay him if they find out he's breached their contract, there's lots of clauses in there about copyright/third party material.

question is, will they profit themselves from ad space sold on the stolen material, and do they plan on passing any of it over to you?

I'm wondering how google tackle this, they close down accounts all over the place for breach of IP.

Student
    I don't know how that guy lives with himself, I'd much rather experience the joy of creation than a fat wad of cash.
    sadly that is a big trend lately

I hope too that that person gets punished,- it´s such a low act even more considering that he placed up for competitions - where one would expect that the author actually produced that title himself.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anyone steal games and then fix them up! That's probably why he's gotten away with it so far. Lets hope Mochi Ads is kind enough to give you all the money he earned.

If Mochi are reading this: Close down the guy's entire account! Not just this one game. The repercussions need to be severe enough to make people think twice about trying to do something like this EVEN IF IT MEANS LOSING CASH ON A LEGITIMATE GAME OF THEIRS. Violation of terms should be a zero-tolerance matter.

Will moderate for beer
    Hell, I'd encourage Sietjp to contact a lawyer and sue this guy as a John Doe. Get a subpoena from the court for discovery and ask Mochi for the guy's identity. Then sue his shirt, pants, shoes, and dog's collar off. Of course, Mochi might just roll over and provide that info without a subpoena, but I kind of hope they don't as I wouldn't want them giving out info to someone only pretending to be the rightful copyright holder.