A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hard Drive

Hard Drive

What should I use as a back up? I am looking in the $100 range maybe a little more.

I have a 74 gig internal and a 200 and 400 external with only about 12 gigs left total. I am looking for something to make a 3rd backup of my photos onto and then use that to let my photo collection grow onto. I guess I am just looking for a 500 gig for now and then maybe another 500 gig(same one?) around when I fly out.

Brands to look into and ones to avoid? I have a 74 gig WD raptor, 200 gig maxtor in a rosewill external case, and a 400 gig external WD mybook.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Seagate Barracuda.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

The 750GB looks pretty good for $119. Maybe I'll just get that. That should hold off my photo collection for a little while. I'm only at around 200 right now but plan on shooting a lot more this summer and then while overseas shooting like a madman .
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I have Western Digital 1TB external. I hate it. It's always doing something wierd, losing connection, etc. Avoid WD.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

I have always liked my WD but everyone seems to hate them. They must be like ASUS and let their rep go to their heads and just started pumping out cheap crap.

The large WD 1TB externals are just two 500GB drive stuck together, which should be avoided for all makes, it's just too much.

I don't know why I waited so long since I knew no matter what I needed a new hard drive. But I just got a Seagte Barracuda 500GB with the 32mb cache(only $5 more then the 16mb)

I will definitely be getting at least another of the same drives before I head out in a month.

This puts my system up to.
    74.6 internal
    200 external
    400 external
    500 external

Swapping the 500 gig into the 200 gigs case and making the 200 my random file drive and having it be internal.

What do you store on all of that? My god.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

My photo archive is getting to be pretty large and I have 2 copies across 2 separate HD's for safe keeping. I have 70 gigs of music. I have a lot of raw video from my projects(should really clean that stuff out) and just lots and lots of random crap.

You'd be surprised at how fast program/games fill up your hard drive. I only put programs and games along with my OS on my primary HD. My steam install alone is 19.8 GB

Ahhh got it all installed after scrambling to find another SATA power cable in my box. Nice to have some extra room now and backups of all my important stuff. I mean I had backups but room was getting tight.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    Seagate Barracuda.
    I bought a Seagate a couple of years ago and it lasted about 2 months. They wouldn't hnor the warranty because they claimed there was no way to tell if it died because of abuse or if it was defective. I replaced it with a Western Digital MyBook and it's been great ever since.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Great thanks for the good vibes...

I will be making weekly backups. No Doubt.

took so long to transfer all my files around but after letting some go over night it is all complete.

I now have: free/total
    Primary(os): 20.4/69.2
    Music and Misc: 75.1/189
    Video and photo backup: 84.7/379
    Main Photo archive and web files: 308/465

So I guess I am now officially in the Terabyte club. What are you all packing these days?

doItLikeThis
    What about your HP and SP and also I need to know your level?
    -Aditya

Quote Originally Posted by adit_ya_sharma
    What about your HP and SP and also I need to know your level?

Level 70 Hunter w/ lots of epics.
    Hello.