A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Buttons opening links in new window - help

Buttons opening links in new window - help

I just completed a full-revamp of a site for the neighborhood pizza joint. I built a "SwishMax" Intro for the home page, and have a couple of minor problems with how it works. My button links in the Intro keep opening the linked pages in a new window, instead of going directly to the page. My "Skip Intro" hyperlink at the bottom (outside of the swf file) works fine. How do I get the swf file buttons to work the same way (eg. go directly to the appropriate page in the same window, instead of opening a new window)? Is my script wrong? Do I need to manually generate a "goTo" command instead of the "getURL" command? Also, I can't seem to get the opening (preloader) background to become transparent, so the page background shows through. I've tried to follow the help tutorials, but can't seem to get it right. How do I do it?
    I'm using SwishMax (I guess version 1). I've had it, and have had it registered for about 2 or 3 years.
    The site is located at www.tortorices.com. It was build with FP 2K, using an old theme (pizza, built for FP 98).
    Please help!

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    ...couple of things here - firstly you should provide an option to turn the music off - and I suggest that the music is one reason why the "intro" is almost 6.5mb's - that will take almost 5 minutes to load on an average 256kb broadband connection - no one ever will wait that long...
    Web Usability course - Acceptable page load times
    How to Reduce the File Size of Your Movie (in Swish)

...for having the link to open in the same browser - don't use the "_blank" option at the end of the URL - instead of using...
    on (press) {
    getURL('appetizers.htm', '_blank');
    }

...use...
    on (press) {
    getURL('appetizers.htm');
    }

...as for a transparent background - go "Export/Export options for: HTML(Tags)" and select from the "Mode" option "Transparent" and make sure you export as HTML+SWF - because the transparent variable in contained in the HTML coding.

wolf

Thank you soooo much! You are the man! If I have any problems on the music thing, I'll post again. I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but will check out your suggested resources. I'm not a code person, so sometimes I need some specific guidance, like this. Thanks again!
    webtech1947