A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Jump to Frame in Video

HotDiggity!

Question Jump to Frame in Video

Okay, so I can successfully progressive download video from a server with Flash's neat-o skins.

BUT, I would like to omit the skin and have chapter buttons that jump to a specific frame in the video. I would still like to progressive download the video rather than have it embedded in the timeline.

Any thoughts?

Many, many, many thanks for any help (and the gracious help I received in the past! I would be a sitting duck!)

-HM

Well if you know the time you want to jump to you can just use a seek() command. Keep in mind Flash won't be able to jump to that time unless that part of the movie has downloaded, and won't be able to jump to an exact time but only the nearest keyframe.

You can get more accurate results by adding cuepoints to the FLV and jumping to those. Again, Flash won't be able to jump to them if that part of the movie hasn't downloaded yet.

Look in Flash Help under "Method summary for the FLVPlayback class"

HotDiggity!

thanks!

awesome, thanks!

i'll give this a shot. i'm encoding the flv now and we'll see what happens.

best,
    HM

HotDiggity!

It Worked!

By golly, it worked! Thanks a million!

I have another question, but perhaps I should post another thread???

Here it is:
    So, I have the video progressively downloading and I have the chapter numbers as buttons that jump to the specific time in the video - good; but now I would like to have a little box around the chapter number, showing the current chapter that is playing. Would that be timeline related, or ???

if you add the cue points your FLVcomponent via actionscript, you can give them a name. Therefore, you could just have something like (excuse the psuedocode, I tend to use AS3 a lot):
    Code:
    function onCuePoint(evt:VideoEvent):void {
    currentChapterString:String = new String();
    currentChapterString = evt.info.name;
    }

stage.addeventlistener(MetadataEvent.CUE_POINT, onCuePoint);

function onClick(evt:MouseEvent):void {
    theChapterNameIndictatorTextBox.text = currentChapterString;
    }

chapterButton.addEventListener(mouseEvent.CLICK, onClick);
    alternatively, you could always author a DVD in Encore CS3 and publish to Flash...this will give you all the functionality of a DVD (with certain interwebnet-related caveats) in a flash movie.

Dan

Not sure if I can post this here, perhaps you can direct me elsewhere.

I have an e-learning application developed lets say a story book with audio and flash displaying the text, page by page. The audio is an FLV with cue points.

Can I skip to the end of this book or chapter using query strings? The application runs with .net and has post backs.

What I require is instead of sitting there listening/ reading to 20 mins of audio I'd like to skip to almost the end of the file where a questionaire resides about the chapter. While testing in flash I use the ns.seek(440); etc but need this to be dynamic where I can control the value if the seek using query strings or an external button (outside the flash). It should be an easy solution but dont know how to implement. Thanks.