A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Critique my first game please...

Critique my first game please...

I posted this up on newgrounds awhile back but never really went back to it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/413890

Now I had one issue that I think ruined the game, I couldn't fix the blood animation so you could "shoot" through it. I was using SWiSHMax and am trying to convert over to CS3 Professional, but until I do, any help with this? I don't have my files with me now, but I'll gladly explain things further at a later time.

For now, how would you rate this game for being my first one. I did all the animating, sound editing, and coding.

Also, very newbie question, but Swish is ActionScript 2 correct?

I think that's a funny idea. For being your first game it was very well achieved, I give you a 10 on that. Though I think there are some things to fix: I felt the shooting not very accurate, sometimes it shot and sometimes didn't, or at least that's how it seems, and that's a bit bothering. You should add some kind of animation or anything that indicates you've shot an enemy because when you shoot 'em once nothing happens and though you actually shot it, it can look like you've missed. Also, when a star appears at the very beginning it moves like crazy, it would be good if you make that not visible. Other than that I liked it and as I said, very good for your 1st, I hoped mine was like that. Keep on
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations

Another thing which would be nice is if there was some sort of muzzle flash or indication of when you fired coming from the cannon. I agree that it is well done for a first game.
    Speed up your development time with well documented and easy to implement Flash components.
    That's what I do, I save people.... Save them from work. I'm like a slacker superhero, standing for truth, justice, and the consumption of sugary pastries.

For the firing effect when you shoot and hit (but don't kill), i agree that needs revamping. The not firing is because you can't shoot blood. It has to do with the way the layers work in my sprite, but I can't place my finger on it.

For the muzzle flash, I had a cannon smoke/fire thing, but it lagged SOOOOOOO bad. It was horrible. On my 8800GTS I couldn't do it past more then maybe 4 shots before it lagged up. Ideas on that?

Programmer
    Pretty nice AS for your first game

pretty much graphics and vituals u need to inprove

That's much better than my first game. There's still alot to learn and improve but it is a good start.
    Being able to finish projects you start is a rare gift

Nice first game.
    Man I miss Carl's Jr. :-)

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I'm 17, I did that from my knowledge after taking a 4.5 month course in high school. I don't even know if its AS, AS2, or what. Anyone wanna tell me? lol

Just to let you know, if I remember right it goes to level 30. Enemies include:

Carl's Jr
    Wendies
    Jack-n-the-Box guy
    Wienersnitchzel (better animation on some of these cause I hand drew)
    KFC Colonel
    Burger King

I think I'm forgetting someone, but it's all the fast food guys except the taco bell one cause I couldn't draw it.

Again, I'm not the best animator, just learn quickly in code. If I post the .swi file, would you be able to tell me what to do with my blood splatter?

Also, would anyone want to suggest an animator that would work for free (not asking, but if it comes up (regarding ToS )). I am looking for someone to make a better logo for me and have a topic on that if anyone is good with that stuff.

Thanks again, and I'm still open to comments.