A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: And now, a British political thread

And now, a British political thread

So the yankies are going to be taking over the forums with their Good vs. Evil competition, so I think us Brits should stir something up.

I did like Blair, he was wrong to go along with the "let's all invade Iraq" idea and now we're in a right pickle, but he did a good job over the 10 years. I really wanted to like Brown – but he really has joined a sinking ship. He's pretty much the captain of the aforementioned ship. In fact, there's a fleet of ships, and he's the admiral.

Having watched the council elections, with Labour falling to pieces, and in London, Ken narrowly loosing out to Boris (I doubt some people realised they were actually voting Tory, they just wanted "that funny one from Have I Got News For You"), I think Labour are out and I think David Cameron is going to be our next Prime Minister.

I don't like Cameron, I think he's too sly. He's trying too hard to be cool and green. What the hell, cycling to work on a Friday? Oh go you Cameron, save the planet.

Anyway, I'm going to vote Liberal Democrat at the next general election, estimated to be June 11th 2009. Clegg isn't really capable of running the country, but it would be so nice to have the Lib Dems as the second party instead of Labour.

Or, how about we scrap our existing government and first-past-the-post election and run proportional representation?

And then once we've got the Lib Dems at number 2 and the Conservatives prove they are as incapable of running the country as they were 10 years ago, then we all vote Labour and get David Miliband in as PM, with Lib Dems shadowing.

Should be something to argue with in that...

It's called soccer.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

My view of Blair is he is an idiot and that's not solely down to Iraq fiasco. I actually like Gordon Brown but I think his reputation as a great economist is exaggerated. He sold off Britain's gold reserves when the market value was a fraction of what it is now. And don't mention the 10p tax row and the up and coming new Road Tax structures.

I think people want a change from Labour because after so many years in power they've become so arrogant. And sleazy. They seem to always do the polar opposite of what ordinary people want. They're too politically correct and rather than dealing with the many problems they just paper over the cracks.

Brown seems unable to make a decision about anything. Probably worried because any decision will make some portion of people unhappy but sitting on the fence on every topic means nothing will get sorted out. Cameron will probably be the next PM but I agree with your sentiments about him trying too hard. Maybe if he is elected he won't need to be so "cool" and will actually be a decent PM. Unlikely but you never know.
    Last edited by CVO Chris; 07-23-2008 at 07:24 PM.

I still don't think of Brown as our Prime Minister, he's a complete moron. I want Cameron for our next PM but I agree, it's stupid that he cycles to work but then has a car follow behind carrying his suitcase and gear It's not like I have a say in it though, apart from nagging my parents to vote for the right guy i'm still to young to vote, (yet I have to pay taxes? I've always thought I should be able to choose who I pay them to at least ).
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    None of them are worth the time it takes to get to a polling booth and back.

Quote Originally Posted by lesli_felix
    None of them are worth the time it takes to get to a polling booth and back.
    In that case you will get the Govrnment you deserve. In a world more concerned about Fern Britton than Great Britain it's no wonder that politicians have taken the opportunity that apathy has presented them, to do whatever they like. All because average people in this country have no interest in polotics till it influences their own lives, which is why we have beome powerless to object, because to motivate anyone to make any kind of constructive political statement that has anything other than spin as it's main ingredient is almost impossible.

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    it's stupid that he cycles to work
    - Seems like a Health consious chap !!!
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke Laurie
    In that case you will get the Govrnment you deserve. In a world more concerned about Fern Britton than Great Britain it's no wonder that politicians have taken the opportunity that apathy has presented them, to do whatever they like. All because average people in this country have no interest in polotics till it influences their own lives, which is why we have beome powerless to object, because to motivate anyone to make any kind of constructive political statement that has anything other than spin as it's main ingredient is almost impossible.
    Voting for parties or people instead of policies is futile. The same people stay in power when it comes down to it. I seem to remember supporting labour(a LONG time ago) because they wouldn't start wars and privatise everything.

Take a lesson from the US - they're mostly too ignorant to realise that the main contenders are two heads of the same beast. We often don't suspect that the same is true here because we also credit the system with more integrity than it deserves.

Yes. I wish Americans would wake up and realize that Obama and McCain and the ideas they represent are pretty much identical.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

It's precisely because people put so much value in those personalities, and "the ideas they represent" - that they're so easily fooled.

<3
    Welcome to effective political communication?

My best friend's life was saved by a British Soldier, so I'm glad Blair decided to "jump on board".

Just my opinion though.
    Hello.

That's heartwarming. Perhaps war was the right thing to do after all.

I don't feel so bad about the way my taxes were spent now.

So THIS is where they've been keeping all the fun Lounge conversation. Saint said it best.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

I'll wait to see the effects of the thread.

Frets, your signature sums up politics better than I ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by WMLeeBo
    My best friend's life was saved by a British Soldier, so I'm glad Blair decided to "jump on board".

Just my opinion though.
    Was your best friend in the position he was in because the army were there too?