A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting rid of Vista

Getting rid of Vista

So I am on the lookout for a laptop for my travels and have narrowed it down to a HP model. That only downside to it is that it HAS to come with Vista. What can I do with Vista? I am looking at getting it, wiping it, and installing XP on it. Can I sell the Vista license or anything?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Why get rid of it? Whats the specs on this laptop? If you have a good enough computer, it will run as well as or better than XP. I'm using it now.

Intel 3Ghz, Core Duo
    4GB Ram
    8800GT
    Hello.

If it came on the laptop, it's an OEM license and not transferable. Though you could probably sell it to a friend or on Craig'sList on the DL. If it's a customized install disc from HP, it's probably impossible.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I was curious how hard it is to downgrade to XP. I bought my mother a low-end laptop when vista was just released and the laptop CANNOT handle vista at all. I want to downgrade to XP but I've heard it can be a lot trickier than just shoving a XP CD in the computer... Anyone have any personal experience with this?

P.S. Sorry if I just semi-hijacked your thread wannabe. Btw, people trash talk vista a lot, but I have it on a new vaio laptop and I have to say, although at first I didn't like it, its definitely growing on me besides a few minor issues with permissions. If I had to choose XP or Vista on a new laptop right now, I'm pretty sure I'd choose vista.
    mmm signature

I don't care if the specs can run it or not I hate Vista. I have it at work on a really nice desktop and it hangs on me all the time. I will also not be having those nice of specs on the laptop. It's only like $700

Stupid bundled OS crap. Why can't they just give us genuine disk...ug.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

dont accept the eula then email whoever made the laptop and ask for a refund in place of the OS. im surpised you did see the artical about it on digg.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

The important thing is that you have to make sure that you have WinXP drivers for all of components.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I was going to mention that but I also don't feel like going through ALL that **** he did. It also took him months to get the check. I am sure they will be hit with a bunch of those now and make some new rule.

I was also going to ask that. I am guessing some of these won't even have XP drivers made since they are components made for laptops that should only be running Vista.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 07-24-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Dunno, I've heard stories with Dell where people have called up and had it handled no problem. Probably depends on which phone jockey you get at the call center. Worth a shot though.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Well I might have to give it a try. I wonder if I can order it over the phone and just ask them NOT to install the OS.

It'll have to ship with something on it...FreeDOS or Ubuntu.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Why?