A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Which server side language to learn: php or java?

Question Which server side language to learn: php or java?

Hi,

I would like to learn a server side language which will use to connect with Flash projects when needed and i have a dilemma which one to learn: php or java so i would like to hear your opinions?

My opinion is that php is perhaps easier to learn but on the other side Java has similar syntax to ActionScript. Then when it comes to hosting, php is pretty much standard and Java hosting is additinal most of the time so it means more expensive. When it comes to language power, i will use it to do classic server side scripting needed in Flash pages or applications so i believe both java and php can do the job, Java will be more powerful when it comes to enterprise application but i am not there yet

What do you guys think, what would be your choice?

best regards

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Stick with PHP. You mentioned that Java is similar to Actionscript, well, so is PHP. Like you said, Java is only really beneficial in extreme situations, like, eBay. For basic things, you're going to want to use PHP. It's much shorter in syntax since it's not forcing OOP on you. You can write one line of PHP that you'd have to set up an entire class and compile an application in for Java.

There is much more support for learning PHP. TONS of beginner tutorials and books.

And yes, every host has PHP support, but much harder to find Java unless you get into a (virtual) dedicated server and can control what runs on it yourself.

Thank you MyFriend for your response I guess i'll stick with PHP and try to learn it to a certain degree, especially its integration with Flash.

If anyone else has some thoughts on this to share, please feel free to do so.

Best regards

Programmer
    well im learning php and mysql and its quite easy if you have used action script.

i want to learn java at a later stage as it will help lead up to learn AJAX (java on steriods) witch is a more powerful script

the reason im learning php and mysql now is cause its aLoT easyer and shorter then java.

what im saying is php is easyer then java ...so learning php may help learn java later on in life.

hope my comment has helped you
    Freelance: AS2, AS3, PHP, MySQL, JavaScript

Thank you for your response hunty When it comes to AJAX, i don't think Java has anything to do with because AJAX is shorthand for Asynchronous Javascript And Xml but anyway, learning Java is definitely a useful thing

best regards

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Why limit your self. I started with ASP, did ColdFusion, moved to PHP and now working with JSP. You will find there are a lot of similarities between them, but if you are looking for the one that will get you the most marketability, then PHP. Virtually every well known site (that is not more known for crashing than its functionality) is done in PHP.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Thank you for your response kortex, really appreciated. I guess i'll go with php for a start and then later try to find a time for Java. I am sure PHP can deal with most server side challanges we all encounter when devolping web sites/applications and there are plenty of examples and tutorials around.