A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: stuff you did when you were younger, that parents wouldnt allow today

stuff you did when you were younger, that parents wouldnt allow today

i had some dental work done this morning, and as i was sitting there with a drilling noise vibrating off my skull i couldnt help but think how insane my childhood was compared to what kids are going through now. Even more so for the older guys and gals here.

For instance:

during middle school i went out and purchased a bus pass for the local busses, and a friend and i would goto the mall whenever we felt like it.. keep in mind the mall was about 45 minutes by car away, which means 30 minutes by bus, change busses, another 30 minutes, one more bus change then 15 minutes to the mall. Now minors cant even get into the mall alone.

When i was just out of kindergarden i was going to the store, alone, buying stuff with money my grandmother would send me every so often. i was like 5 and for some reason i kept buy on liter things of milk, and a slice of pizza. No joke my parents never freaked out, police were never called, i was never kidnapped and locked in a dungeon.

Climbing trees. Holy crap what the **** was i thinking, in jeans and a tshirt, with some beat up sneakers me and some friends, "bet i can get to the top" and we did make it to the top, looking back now sure the tree isnt huge(3 stories tops) but holy crap, one false move and your looking at a broken, possibly dead kid.

crab apple fights! the small town around here has them all over, once hte apples start falling all of the kids would choose a side, pick up some apples then it was duck cover and throw. unless windows started breaking its was fun and games. now adays you are looking at the police being called, and possibly some community service.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

damn near everything.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Wow.

My childhood sucked.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

I grew up in a safe 'unlocked doors' neighborhood and my mom still used fear as a primary means of control. She would describe the worst possible scenario of going past the end of the block which kept me close to home.

I think the only thing that's different today as far as I'm concerned is that our toy guns looked just like the real thing.

Btw, our imagination while playing army, guns etc was just as graphic long before GTA.

I used to buy cigarettes for my mom
    We used to play with big sharp knives
    No helmets or any protection gear when riding bikes
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Watch Penn & Teller's: Bull****!, they just did an episode on Stranger Danger.

• trick or treat unaccompanied
    • ride in the front seat
    • eat mcdonalds
    • go outside without sunblock on
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

-Sit in the mailman's truck while waiting for the bus during the Canadian winters so I wouldn't freeze.
    -Make friends.

The stuff I did when I was younger my parents wouldn't have even of done let alone their parents.

But then again I was a complete b*****d when I was young.

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Stuff that our parents knew about back when we did them or the stuff we did behind their backs like stealing their car in the middle of the night?

Here's a partial list of the stuff I remember that my old man knew about and/or participated in with us:

BB gun fights
    Dart fights
    Blowguns
    Playing with vietnam surplus tripstring bombs
    5am trips out to the cow fields to pick magic mushrooms
    Sneaking quaaludes from the "candy dish" on the bar
    Firing off handguns and rifles in the house
    Jumping from the second story into the pool

Bikes with no helmets
    Climbing anything we could
    Conkers
    As for war games, your cred was measured by how good your machine gun noise was, and you needed a kid who would die well if you shot him - thank you Howard Bickley you were that kid! he was rubbish at anything else, but falling over in a variety of spectacular ways, he was king!

Heh, we literally had a ninja supply closet inspired by Revenge of the Ninja.
    We were given a large room downstairs called the "toy room" with one wall we were allowed to obliterate. We load up with throwing knives, bow and arrow, blow guns and anything else that could impale and just go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2

during middle school i went out and purchased a bus pass for the local busses, and a friend and i would goto the mall whenever we felt like it.. keep in mind the mall was about 45 minutes by car away, which means 30 minutes by bus, change busses, another 30 minutes, one more bus change then 15 minutes to the mall. Now minors cant even get into the mall alone.

yup, kids 17 and under aren't even allowed in the mall without parents in my area. I couldn't imagine that. Especially if you can drive there yourself at 16 & 17.

when i was young i was confined to my one block while on my bike. But i was allowed to ride alone with no helmet ....today i never see any kid's riding bike's alone, hell, i barely see any kid's outside anymore.

Peace - Just in Heaven koolbabs2000's Avatar
    When i was just out of kindergarden i was going to the store, alone, buying stuff with money

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
    - The Mahatma.

babs strikes again.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

can the admins of flashkit allow an option to make it so certain people can post in a thread, because i would have koolbabs checked forever. he is a thread ruiner.

you can put him on your ignore list.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

no, i dont want anyone to be able to see him post in a thread i start, ever.

If koolbabs laughs at one of your jokes, is it still funny?

You could just not start threads. ;P

if koolbabs laughs or agrees with anything i say, i know i have been completely wrong and unfunny.

if im not starting threads the CL will fill up with wannabe's tech questions and movie reviews